High schoolers are fascinating. I watch their interactions almost as if I were studying the creatures on Meerkat Manor. The new relationships, the ended romances, the flirty girls, the stand-offish boys, the awkward moments and silly things they say. They can be so self-conscious. They can be so easily depressed and so easily ecstatic. I wish they didn't take their relationships with the opposite sex so seriously, but I understand why they do. I wish they wouldn't be so hard on themselves, but I wish they'd work harder at some things, sometimes.
In baby news, Maryn does not sleep. She didn't sleep much lastnight, and she didn't sleep much today. I thought newborns were supposed to sleep a lot. My child does not sleep. She will fall asleep and inevitably wake up 10-20 minutes later. I don't know what to do. It isn't gas this time, she's just awake. She doesn't seem very tired. But I am exhausted. I don't know how she is surviving on this schedule. But she's never really liked sleeping a lot, since the day she was born. And as soon as I lay her on her back, she wakes up and cries, cries, cries. Nothing works. I'm about to become a co-sleeping parent, I kid you not. I need suggestions.
12 comments:
Are you swaddling her, maybe that would help her? Maybe she is waking herself up when she moves?
Kalyn:)
You are so cute! Isn't this mother stuff so crazy? Each kid is different so your job is to figure out what Maryn is like. She may not be a sleeper (is she sleeping at night?)
Not sure you want my advice since I am a staunch Baby Wiser. But it will work itself out.
Put her in her bed and let her cry. She has to get used to it. You are spoiling her just like JR. You don't want that to happen.
Sorry Maryn isn't sleeping well. She sounds a bit like Hannah. She only slept 20 minutes or so at a time during the day (however at night she did much better) Once I put her on her schedule though, her sleep came back...she now sleeps about 45 min in the morning and 2 hours or so in the afternoon. Still not much for a baby, even at her age, but enough for me to get rest. Hang in there Amanda...it may seem like eternity...but it will pass and soon you will have almost forgetten about this. I would encourage you to keep at what you are doing...and don't be afraid to let her cry.
I know probably most people won't agree with this...but have you tried laying her on her belly to sleep...at least during the day when you can watch her. Hannah is a belly sleeper (so was Teri's baby...so I know I'm not the only one). Good luck.
Michele sounds like she knows what she is talking about. All of my kids slept on their stomachs and were fine. I think you read too many books and you should just listen to your mother. You always slept on your stomach. I tried that sleeping on the side with Jordan and you know how that turned out and went back to sleeping on the stomach for Sara and that was fine. Maryn likes to have something around her and I think sleeping on her back doesn't comfort her. I also agree with Michele on the fact that you won't even remember much of this later. You will only remember seeing those smiles.
I know her belly might be hurting her. If I go in and rub her belly, she falls right to sleep. So belly sleeping might be the answer. It just scares me because she really does just put her face in the blanket and she tries to suck on it! She really wants to suck but on nothing else but ME.
have you let her cry it out?
I was trying to type more and something messed up. Anyhow, I have been trying to let Hope cry it out. It's hard, but it's getting better. I am more strict about it at night and a little more lenient during the day, like I am not FORCING her to nap in the crib during the day b/c we are very out and about pretty much each day. But I have found if she can get to sleep in her crib she does really well and if she does cry herself to sleep then it wears her out and she sleeps well. Also, she ususally wakes up 20 - 30 min into her sleeping and cries for about 5-10 minutes, then goes back to sleep. Have you tried her on her side in a sleep positioner if that would make you feel better than stomach? Or have you tried an elevated mat? We got one of those, but she kept sliding down it in her positioner. Hope sleeps mainly on her sides, doesn't love her back either. But doesn't like her stomach, at least when I have tried when I am watching her. Heck, we all slept on our stomachs and we are fine! :-) I have been trying to pretty much stick to the schedule, but some days it isn't great. .. but each day is a new day! Do you use a white noise machine? Babywise says no, but we use one and it seems to help calm her. Maybe she just doesn't love sleep. Let's get together soon!!!!
I love your transparency in your blogs...I am relating to every one of your posts. Libby was having a couple of really hard nights and we were so exhausted. We realized that every time she went in her car seat she slept so we decided to try her in it at night and we finally started getting some good sleep for all of us. Now, that we got a schedule going I have started swaddling her tightly and laying her in her bed and she seems to be back in action. But hey, we have newborns and everyday is something new. I am pretty clueless though and basically learning as I go! You should listen to your friends that have experience! :)
Look what happens you ask for advice...you get a ton!!! hehehe. I want to agree with Erin. I remember before Maryn was born I was blogging about my frustrations with Hannah sleeping. you wrote a comment about the 45 minute intruder that BabyWise talks about. I got the book back out and went back on schedule...allowing her to cry for a few minutes in the middle of her nap. Maybe this is happening??? I hope tonight and tomorrow are better for you. Hey...wanna get together sometime next week?
Gosh . . . lots of opinions! I really do mostly 'natural' parenting. As in, what did Eve do? LOL. But I also know I'm a better mom when I get good sleep and sometimes that means going against our instincts.
When she's awake, what is she doing? Does she let you sit her down or does she constantly need held to be content?
All I can say is that Evelyn NEVER slept either. And it didn't matter that we held her . . . she cried even when we did that. She'd just cry and cry and cry (at night). It's just the way she is wired. And I co-slept with her because it was the only way any of us got any sleep and even that wasn't good sleep. My point is that it's not so much the method, but the child. You know Maryn, so you just have to do what works for you.
Gigi is crying :) I'm sooo overwhelmed. Richard is going to work tomorrow! I keep thinking, "I'm crazy!"
K:)
The first thing to remember is that you don't have to be perfect! :) Every child is different, so it's always a trial & error process to find out what works for your child. :) If you can get her to suck on a pacifier when she sleeps, that would take away some of the risk of her sleeping on her belly(opens up a pocket of airflow).
And don't totally rule out the co-sleeping. Christopher slept in our bed for his first 6 weeks or so of life. I did it more as a bonding thing since he's adopted, but I have to admit, it was nice to have him close - especially for those middle of the night feedings. I had one of those things you put in your bed to protect the baby from being rolled over on...but Christopher soon began to wiggle down out of that (it was open at the bottom). He transitioned well to the crib and only sleeps in our bed now when he wakes up with a bad dtream in the middle of the night. :)
I'll be praying for you & I'm happy to help you any way I can! Just let me know what I can do! :)
Post a Comment