Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sleep and Sweet Moments


Thank you for all of your suggestions!  They really got John and I thinking.  We were able to put our heads together this evening and come up with some solutions.  First, John put one of our computer speakers in her room, so she has music now.  Then, we put her Boppy in her bed to prop her up (which you're not supposed to do, by the way).  It seems to be working a little better so far, but it's only 10:30.  I'm waiting for her to fall asleep...

I think one of the reasons I'm so frustrated is because I'm without John all day.  I wish I had more of him, because he is so reassuring.  I hear a lot of women say they feel that their husband is another one of their children.  With John and me, it's the opposite.  I'm the other child!  There are few things I feel confident doing independently.  Maryn's bedtime routine, apparently, is not one of them.  I don't know how single moms (or dads) do it.

John started his second (it's actually his third until swim season is over) job today.  He will be working at Target whenever he can at 4 am each morning.  This makes me sad.  Not that I use him at 4 am, but he'll be more tired in the evenings, and you all know what happens when a husband and wife are both physically exhausted.

Another thing that makes me sad is that John's brother, Mark is moving away.  This means that we will officially be alone here in Naples, with no family.  John, who practically has no attachments, is not at all bothered by this.  These boys just move around everywhere without a thought (Air Force kids, sigh).  

I had a sweet moment tonight with Maryn.  She was sleeping soundly on my shoulder as I was trying to burp her (yes, she sleeps at times I don't want her to and is awake when I want her to sleep).  I was kissing her face, and then she gave me a big smackaroo on the cheek, because she was obviously looking for her food supply (wrong place, but you know).  It made me smile, and I looked down at her, and she was smiling right back at me.  I instantly got all teary.  How can I ever get frustrated with such a precious little girl?  In her princessy nightgown, with her big blue eyes and perfect little nose.  

Then, tonight, eventually, when she stops crying, I'll crawl into bed next to her daddy, who has the same nose and the same eyes, and I, too, will fall asleep.  Eventually.  But at least I have these two, even if I don't have any other relatives here, even if I don't have much sleep.  My sleep deprivation is only for a season.  These two are mine forever.  I love them so much.

3 comments:

bcl said...

Again I want to say we are here for you guys anytime. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

She looks so much older in that picture. I can't stand it.

Michele said...

Yay for wonderful, helpful and emotionally strong husbands. I'm right there with you on needing the hubby for support.

Amanda....really, you are doing great. The next few weeks may be hard, but as little Maryn begins to grow she'll settle, you'll realize that you really are doing a good job and your loving husband will continue to be your support. The 6-8 week mark will be a difference maker, and then again at the 12 week mark. It seems to be with most babies. I know it seems like forever away...but it will come. Your words are echoing the way I felt with my first (and with my second!ha).