Monday, October 20, 2008

Goodbye, Pumpkin Spice Latte

I know I shouldn't be too paranoid about what I eat in relation to my breast milk, but that day when Maryn was in pain was one of the worst days ever.  Stupid me.  I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte that day.  And I didn't get the usual decaf.  And I didn't get the usual soy, either.  Because soy just tastes kind of yucky sometimes.  So I'm not sure if I should drink any coffee at all, ever.  I don't know if it was the milk, the caffeine, or the bitter coffee taste.  What do you breastfeeding moms think?

And what about ice cream?  John and I usually go out for ice cream or coffee once per week.  What are we supposed to do now?  I've been pretty addicted to smoothies.  I can go for that, I think, but I'm not sure John is crazy about the idea.  I love to get smoothies with extra protein.  I feel like I am doing something great for myself and for the entire world.  It gives me a rush.  Kind of like recycling.

I know I should just try another Pumpkin Spice Latte with soy and decaf to see if it bothers her, and maybe some ice cream.  But honestly, I don't think it's worth it.  I think I'll just say goodbye for now.  I'll see you again next year, my dear latte.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that anything involving coffee should be banned from your body! Just my opinion! LOL

Cathy

Teri said...

Both of my boys had wicked tummy pains whenever I had dairy. I was off of dairy with Hunter till he was about 8 months, and Nathanael till about 5 months. Just my experience...but I have a feeling that Dawn would say to get off of dairy too. Best of luck!!! This mommy thing is toughest job you'll ever do! :)

Overeater said...

Boy, you've got guts. Pumpkin Spice Latte is simply divine. Maybe you could purchase a candle at Yankee Candle?

Alison said...

You could replace the Pumpkin Spice with a Banana Chocolate Vivanno- my new fave at Starbucks! Yum-o AND protein! :)

Anonymous said...

I say you do what you have to. If she's having problems with gas, most likely it's related to diet . . . which IS your diet. But it could be any number of things, I would cut my diet way back to some very basic foods, then gradually add one new item a day to see what exactly the problem foods are. You could also try raw dairy products (do your research first though about the risks) or non-homogenized milk (you can get it at Whole Foods).

K:)