Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mommy Claws, Front Butts and No More Vacations

Mommy Claws

There are a few things I have acquired as a new mother.  The first is a familiar one, as I observed it in my own mother:  Mommy Claws.  Don't mess with a mother tiger's cubs.  

My story took place in the pediatrician's office on Thursday, where after my appointment, the nurse and Dr. Brown told me I could nurse Maryn in the exam room.  This was very good news, as Maryn was famished.  Due to my anal retentiveness, I was determined to get in a full feeding.  Because any breastfeeding mother knows that if you don't, the baby and the breasts will be semi out of whack for the rest of the day.  So after 20 minutes on one side, the dr. and nurse pop in to make sure I'm OK and give me papers, at which time they assured me I could take my time.  

After 20 minutes on the other side, the nurse comes in.  She informs me that I've been nursing too long and my nipples are going to get sore.  To which I replied, "Really?  Because both pediatricians I've talked to said to nurse 20 minutes on both sides.  Even all the books I've said say that."

"Well," she sighed.  "You're just lucky this room was open this long."  In a slightly nasty tone.

To which I thought, I am going to pummel this lady.  I just want to feed my baby.  If there was a time limit on the room, you should have told me.  I didn't say much to her, but I can't even describe to you how angry it made me.  I was fuming all the way home!  The only thing I can think of to explain it is that my mommy claws came out.  I noticed this happening during pregnancy, too, so it wasn't too much of a shocker.

Front Butts

My best friend growing up, Staci and I, we were pretty strange.  I look back and laugh at the things we did and said often.  She was the one who first told me what sex was--at least what she thought sex was.  One of the observances we made about women was that some have front butts.  This is the fat that is directly opposite of a woman's back butt, around her very lower abdominals.  

Well my friends, I now have a front butt.  At least the beginnings of one.  Oh, I know it'll probably mostly go away.  I did just have a baby, so I'm not too worried about it.  Except when I pass by ten year old girls and wonder, "Are they thinking about my front butt?"  Sigh.

No More Vacations

Motherhood is kind of shocking.  I spent most of the past year walking on clouds, preparing little baby clothes, readying myself to receive my little bundle of joy.  Sure, I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park.  I knew I'd have many, many sleepless nights.  But as I get the stroller ready, as I rock her to sleep, as I change diaper after diaper, as I nurse, nurse, nurse, I realize...

...oh

...my

...goodness.

This is really my life now.  Every three hours, for an hour I am stuck in a rocking chair or on a couch to nurse.  And I think that, for the rest of my life, I'll probably be tired.  Because no one is Maryn's mommy.  Just me.  And she's a whole person that needs a lot of things, including food.  It's a strange feeling to just want to go back to work and hand her over to a day care center, but at the same time, feel absolutely like that would be like death, to be separated from her just so I could make more money.  It's a very strange place to be in.  

5 comments:

Erin said...

The nerve of that nurse! I would have been annoyed too. I think it's great that she'll nurse for 20 min on each side. Hope's 10 min on each side and SEE YA -she's done and I am always thinking she's not getting enough. :-) Let's get together soon. We have company for like the next billion years, but I would love to just get together with our girls and chat. :)

Anonymous said...

If you think mommy clawa are bad, just wait until you see grandma claws. Let's just say, that nurse is lucky this grandma is so far away.

Michele said...

Amanda...I truly needed to read your post. You brought a much needed smile to my face with you "front butt" story (I may never look at a 10 year old the same again:-), and your comments on being the only mom to Maryn were just perfet.

I'm glad we got to chat in real life, if only for a few moments Saturday. I really would like to get together with you sometime (and you can nurse as long as you'd like when I'm around ; ) hahaha....sorry that nurse was so obnoxious. I'm surprised at her attitude...I've been at there a long time and never had that. Maybe she was having a bad day and wanted to ruin someone elses.

bcl said...

If you ever need a break I would love to either provide baby-sitting or a companion for some time with the girls :). Never hesitate to call!

Jeff of course said...

You won't be tired the rest of your life. (Remember kids do grow older). John is there to help you too! Think positively, all the fatigue is worth the reward of loving someone other than yourself. And to live for another's needs. I hope that if you keep that in mind, being tired will be nothing you can't handle with the help of God, John and your friends and family.