The other day, I wrote about our snow day and the igloo John built, which was torn down within an hour or less of building it. This situation keeps running through my mind, and all the meanings and lessons I can pull from it. Lessons about children, adults, parenting, and sin.
John, about 8 children from the neighborhood and I helped build this igloo, which took at least an hour to complete. And it was cold, hard work. Bending and lifting, bending and lifting. Carefully sculpting. The little girl in question--we'll call her Julie--was one of our biggest helpers. She wore no gloves and yet helped patch up holes around the igloo to help make it sturdy and beautiful.
So why did she, an hour later, so brutally massacre this igloo that she helped build? I know you might be thinking, "She's a kid and that's what kids do." Well, that may be true, but I think her choice speaks volumes about humanity and sin.
"The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down." Proverbs 14:1
When I was teaching in the little impoverished city of Immokalee, I was a little surprised to see that the children who had nothing were some of the most destructive children. How I wanted to be able to send books home (or to the shelter) with them, but eventually I had to stop. It's the same type of thing as the kids in projects who vandalize or destroy their own playgrounds. Why this behavior?
But all this makes me realize, do we not do the same thing? Do I not try to teach Maryn and train Maryn and discipline Maryn, only to grow frustrated and wrongfully angry with her when she's upset because I've been on Facebook too long? So often my behavior is in direct opposition to the very things I am teaching. I try to teach her to be kind and sweet, but can shoot off like a bottle rocket when my patience has finally worn thin--only to witness her sweet little face fall apart in heartbroken sobs.
This is not the way it is supposed to be. When sin entered our world, Adam shifted the blame to Eve. Eve shifted the blame to the Serpent. They hid from God. They learned shame. They learned guilt. They learned anger, impatience, impurity. They destroyed their lives with their very own hands.
"Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it."
-Proverbs 22:6
"If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe." 1 Timothy 4:6-10
By our teaching and lifestyle, we can help our children, families, neighbors and churches set their hope on Jesus and live fruitful lives. We toil and strive because we have heavenly hope. He is building His Kingdom and we are so privileged to even know Him, to even know His name. Work hard, be good stewards of all that He gives us. And we must teach our children to work hard and be good stewards of all He gives us, even if it's teaching them not to color in their books and not to write on their walls or smear poop on the floor. These little lessons may seem mundane and annoying, but we are training our children to "wisely build up their homes," and hopefully with much prayer and training and help from His Spirit, folly will have no room to enter their hearts. They will not tear down their own homes. And will look toward their heavenly home. Where we will spend eternity with them.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great post, Amanda!
I liked this as well :)
I was thinking about how you were talking about the destructiveness of those living in poverty. It got me thinking about cultures and stuff yada, yada. Unrelated to your post.
Some of the most miserable people I've ever met were those without. Not miserable because of their circumstance, but miserable because they were filled with envy and meanness. Sorta like the little girl, I guess.
But when I think about my trip to Guatemala, two very distinct memories replay in my head. The first is one of watching these two little girls at the orphanage make a pyramid out of mud. It was a school assignment. The kids in this orphanage were poor, but I got the feeling they didn't consider themselves poor. It makes me wonder what their lives were like prior to coming there. Anyway, what stands out most in my memory is how truly happy they were. At the time my mom was doing foster care, and we didn't have a single foster child who didn't have a "woe is me" attitude. And it really struck me that these children were so, so much poorer than any foster child we ever had and yet in so many ways they were so much richer.
The other memory that stands out to me is we went to a nearby city and were handing out cassettes in Spanish that had the NT on it. I don't know why these children wanted them (because there is no way they had cassette players), but they borderline attacked me stole all my tapes. They were obviously, street children, who had not been spared a street life, like those in the orphanage. My guess is that they thought they could sell them for $.
I guess my point is that sometimes I think children in our culture are worse off because they only see all this "stuff" that they can't have. And they become so filled with envy and entitlement that it makes them mean, bitter people. Just a thought.
Thanks for those thoughts, Kendra. It was hard for me not to go into a deeper poverty discussion. Especially because I knew families in Immokalee that were very poor who appreciated and loved everything I could do for them, and many parents there would listen to any advice I could give about reading, behavior, etc. I'm not sure exactly what the one or two differences were between those who were "woe is me," angry, resentful, etc., and those who weren't. But of the families I knew, it seemed that just one or two people in those children's lives (usually a parent) kept them strong. The family we were closest to, the mother loved them so much, would never leave them, had predictable, appropriate and consistent discipline, etc., and even though their lives were awful--filled with abuse, poverty, abandonment--they persevered.
How many students did I have that would whine, "Mrs. Erdman, I've never HAD ice cream!" (NOT true!), or "My mom said to tell you I don't have a bike," (they wanted to be in this bike donation program).
But whether we give a hand-out or a hand-up, we are called to give and take care of the poor. It's when we expect nothing in return (even if it's a vandalized playground or a destroyed book) that we will be ultimately blessed.
I think that maybe this little girl has no control over things that happen around or to her so when she helped make this igloo, t gave her control over something...how it was formed, the design, etc. It also gave her the option to use that control to maybe demolish it and take out any frustrations she may have about things concerning her life. I know there are times I would love to have something to demolish. We as adults have our own little ways suchs as counting to ten, go for a little drive with windows down or turming up music, etc.....but children hae to find their own little ways to control things intheir little lives. Keep her in your thought and prayers. LOve you guys and miss you!
Cathy
Just the other day I thought it was due time for you to write something really thought provoking...and you did:-) Great post Amanda! Thanks!
Post a Comment