Monday, February 01, 2010

Toy Rotation Day




Today was toy rotation day and boy, was it exciting. Really, it actually was. Loserrr, I know.

What does toy rotation day involve, you ask? Toy rotation must take place while Maryn is awake obviously, because it takes place in her room. We put several toys that she has lost interest in away as well as toys that are no longer age appropriate. This can be tricky with a toddler--storing their toys away in boxes--but today Maryn was very cooperative.

Her train was put away in exchange for dress up clothes and puppets. Unfortunately, she was completely uninterested in dress up and puppets. So I changed THOSE out with these fabulous blocks the Gaddises gave us over the summer.

Maryn has a fascination with blocks, and excuse me while I dote on her for a second, but I am amazed by her focus, her precision, and her ability to balance several blocks to create a tower all by herself. She's been playing with the little colorful blocks Bethany gave us for a while, but I knew she'd love the BIG blocks and the wooden train tracks.

We also put away some of her baby toys and replaced those with the little plastic animals every child loves. And these are what she played with all morning. Those animals. I will try to get a picture of her playing with some of her "new" toys this afternoon and post them here. She has NOT been photogenic lately, so bear with me.

4 comments:

Michele said...

I really love this idea. I've never been able to impliment it though. I think kids do better with fewer options and they have more fun with their toys, than when they have a ton out to play with all the time. OK, I want to try again. Thanks for the post.

Erin said...

I should do this too, but I haven't. I rotate the toys in her playpen for when she has playpen time, but not the toys in her playroom. Everything is pretty much just thrown in there. I think you are inspiring me to rotate toys!

Amanda said...

Yes, I really love it. I know I talk about it a lot but I just love it so much. There is something very special as a mother to watch your child discover and fall in love with a new toy. But no one wants to (or should) buy great new toys every few weeks. This gives everyone the best of both worlds.

Kendra :) said...

Rotating toys is great, even more when they're older because they really get as excited as Christmas! Although, Evelyn (4.5) has started to remember her missing toys a lot recently :/