Monday, February 15, 2010

What is Valentine's Day like for a young, married seminary couple with a toddler and a baby on the way?

Here's the question of the day: Why is it colder and more snowy here in KY than it is in Vancouver where they are having the WINTER Olympics?



I kind of chuckle inside at the facebook statuses of some of my single friends. I know it's awful being alone on Valentine's Day, but I'm not sure their view of married Valentine's Day is completely accurate. Some married couples I know had perfectly lovely Valentine's Days with a date night, an exchange of little wrapped up boxes and a candlelit dinners. Our Valentine's Day was a little different than the ideal. I'm not complaining, because I loved it! I'm just saying....I don't know what some of my single friends think sometimes.

Our Valentine's Day started like any other Sunday. We went to church, but Maryn had a yucky runny nose so we decided not to put her in the nursery. So she and John walked around the church while I sat in Sunday school class. Then, we took Maryn into worship with us where she did her usual Pentecostal style dancing, only to conk out during the second song. She slept for the rest of the service.

Then we went to Qdoba where I guess John got his Vday present in the form of Mexican food. And the only reason we could go there was thanks to my friend Beth who recommended these great coupons. We didn't save as much as we could have because it was our first time there and we weren't really sure what to get for Maryn. So we just got three full meals and two drinks, all for ten dollars. John had a burrito sans coupon, but Maryn and I both ate for $3.00. Maryn ate TWO whole tacos minus the shell, and shared her nachos with John.

I have never seen an 18 month old eat Mexican food quite like Maryn does. She loves chicken, salsa, guacamole, beans, cheese, onions, everything! I love it! She's totally taking after her father.

Then we went home, gave Maryn her Valentine's Day gifts (Markers, crayons and a notebook all in a shiny little purse). John forgot my Valentine's Day present at Target because he has pregnancy brain, too. And Maryn and I made John brownies. Thrilling, I know.

My creativity level has gone down. Why? Because I'm sick. Day and night, night and day, I am sick, sick, sick. And when I am not feeling sick, I am trying to do the necessary day to day stuff. Not that I've been very creative lately anyway. I AM working on a great Strawberry Shortcake page in Maryn's new coloring book with her new sharp crayons. :-D

Then we delivered some Valentines to the neighbors and THEN John made us a fabulous pot roast for dinner. I know that sounds a bit weird, but I haven't had pot roast in about 6 years. Floridians just don't eat it and with all this ridiculous snow I was craving some.


In other news, Maryn decided to show her true colors for the camera today!


You wouldn't believe how sick she is by seeing these photos unless you look
at all the drool and mucus surrounding her nose and mouth. :)

This was her exact reaction to her Valentine's Day present.
Pleasant smile.
She squealed with absolute delight when she opened Grandma
and Grandpa Erdman's gift of pajamas, socks and her dress. Sigh.
She is such a girl.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Hannah also loves mexican food...really, any food she can dip. She loves salsa & sour cream too. Wish we were closer so we could take them to get chips and salsa together:-)

I LOVE the view from your living room window. That tree is beautiful covered in snow.

And Jeremy can finally attest to the fact that men also have pregnancy symptoms. It took until #3 for it be very evident, but I think it was always there.

Unknown said...

wow...Maryn & I look exactly alike! Snot wise that is! When I see you guys next, I have some little gifts for Maryn too. I planned on sending them but have been a recluse in my house so didn't get them sent ...sorry :o(

mom said...

She is getting to be such a ham. I love it.