Sunday, February 21, 2010

exhausted, jealous and spoiled

Yesterday we went to Sam's Club and Kroger. All in one trip. Not a big deal, right? Well, with an 18 month old and a pregnant lady it really isn't that much fun. Plus, I was really missing the good old days.

You know, the days when we could just grab a bit to eat after a long day of shopping. Or the days when we could order pizza. Or the days when we could stop for Starbucks or a smoothie to hold us over until dinner.

It was 5:30 as we drove home--our dinner time--and we had a hundred groceries to put away, a whiny, tired, hungry toddler, and two frazzled parents. We passed Pizza Hut, Smoothie King, McDonald's, China Gourmet, Subway, Penn Station, Starbucks, Tony Boombozz Pizza...but we had to get home to make chili mac (thanks for the suggestion, Kendra!) and cornbread. So I tried to swallow my self-pity, grin and bear it.

I'm not trying to make this a woe-is-me post, but I never quite realized how often we used to just stop for food or refreshments. Every time we went to the mall or shopping, we would stop for something. Maybe it was just a Coke, but it was often ice cream or smoothies. Which are harder things to avoid while pregnant. Once the little seed of desire gets planted in my mind, my hormones seem to shout for my wants.

It really is absolutely ridiculous and sinful of me to battle over this like I do. But I see it's a struggle for a lot of people, according to facebook statuses. It sure does seem like a lot of people go out for meals, like, all the time. Maryn's never even been out to breakfast. Never. Mostly because people don't buy us gift cards for places that have breakfast! lol.

Why do I feel so envious? Why do I crave exactly what I can't have? Especially when most children in the world have never even been inside of a restaurant. It's ridiculous how spoiled I've been, growing up in America. It's ridiculous how spoiled all of us are. And how I think I'm entitled to that cheeseburger because I crave it and I'm pregnant and I just had a really long, exhausting day and I really don't think I could stand for 10 more minutes to make my family a meal.

John and I regret spending so much money on those little refreshments, so I encourage you all to really think about your eating out habits, even if it's just stopping for ice cream. Plan ahead, you know? And save some of your money. Because you just never know what's going to come along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww Amanda.....I think you are just realizing what every couple realizes after a couple of years and a child or two! Welcome to our world! :o)
We very rarely go out to eat at all. I might go somewhere for lunch one Thursday a month with Cassie and Beth from work...but usually only spend like $6. We have never been the ones to go to the mall alot or just stop for drinks or coffee or things like that....I have always thought it was a waste of money.
You soon learn to live without all the little extras and I think it has never really been a problem for me because we NEVER did any of that growing up the way we did.
Buy a cheap little Sno-Cone maker or Smoothie maker and come up with some neat little ideas you can make for your family as special little treats. Start some family treat traditions and you will see as your kids get older....they will appreciate those things so much more and you will hear them tell their friends....man...wait till you taste these Smoothies (r whatever you come up with), that my mom makes! They're awesome!
They won't remember the dessert you stopped and got on the way home from the mall 4 years ago...but they will remember special treats made with and shared by FAMILY!
Love ya! We need to get together sometime and make some little treats and have some fun!

Anonymous said...

That last message was from me.

Cathy :o)
It wouldn't take it under my name. Weird

Michele said...

I have been thinking a lot about this post over the past couple of days. Especially while out and trying to justify whatever little indulgence I want at the moment. I've also been thinking about how often I buy a little something for the girls. It seems like only a dollar or two here and there, but I bet I would save nearly $300 a year if I had more self control in this area.

This morning, I was reading an article written by J.R. Miller in 1894 and he mentioned something along these lines. He said, "We indulge ourselves in many things which to us do not appear sinful—but which leave on our soul a touch of blight, a soiling of purity—of which we do not dream. We permit ourselves many little habits in which we see no danger—but which are silently entwining their invisible threads into a strong cable, which some day shall bind us hand and foot. We omit self-denials and sacrifices, thinking there is no reason why we should make them, unaware that we are lowering our standard of living, and permitting the subtle beginnings of self-indulgence to creep into our heart."

Even now, I'm thinking about my errands I have to run and where I can stop for a soda and snack because "I deserve it for tackling these things with my three little ones". Or coping out of making dinner and going to Moes instead, because I just can't get around to it or I forgot to put the chicken out.

Your post has made me think more about how much I/we actually DO go out and especially how much money we spend in that area....especially in the past 3 months!