Monday, February 08, 2010

Excuse Me

My sweet girl (look at that curl!)





Let me take a break. And tell you a little bit about what's going on around here.

Maryn only wants to read The Wheels on the Bus. She only wants to watch Imagination Movers. She is giving herself a diaper wedgie right now on the couch because she doesn't want to wear pants today. She's been waking up on weekdays at 6 am. Today we took a bath/shower together and discussed how today would be better than yesterday. Less whining, less temper tantrums, less hitting mommy in the face and less kicking mommy in the stomach.

What's all the fuss about? First, LittleTike* fusses and whines and cries all day. They've changed his medication and it seems to have changed his personality a bit. So...I think Maryn has caught on to that. Plus she's a toddler. Temper tantrums? She throws them when she can't do what she wants when she wants--and it usually involves laundry. Laundry must be taken from the dryer immediately and folded immediately. Or else we witness the very worst temper tantrums I've ever seen from my girl. She usually ends up wailing it out in her bed. Behind a very closed door.

Now I know why most kids start watching a lot of television around this age. I admit, it's hard to resist. Maryn is limited to half an hour per day. But....we may have broken that rule a lot lately.

I forgot how difficult and boring winter can be. I liked hibernating for a few weeks. But I'm used to getting out at least 2 hours a day. SWIMMING year round. Going to the playground every day. I have lots of rainy day ideas--you know if you read this blog we do lots of fun activities. But I'm SICK. I'm TIRED. I'm BORED. Which is what brought me here to my blog even while Maryn is awake. Even when LittleTike is here.

Why so tired? Well, first trimester obviously. But I've also been waking up at 3 am and I lay there until 6 when Maryn wakes up. Sometimes I take a shower and eat breakfast while she plays in her bed. I hope my progesterone levels adjust themselves soon. If it happens tonight, I think I'll just get up at 3 and read something other than The Wheels on the Bus.

The one thing that is getting me through the madness is praying through the Psalms. 150 Psalms over 30 days, 5 Psalms per day. Today's Psalms, for example, are Psalms 8, 38, 68, 98, 128. I don't always get to them all, but I choose a few parts to meditate over or mindmap over and it, especially the mindmapping, helps me keep those prayers in my head all day.




*LittleTike is the little two year old boy I babysit.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Oh...I simply love pictures of sleeping children! So sweet!!!

I had to giggle that one of the things she throws a tantrum over is taking clothes out of dryer and folding them right away! haha.

Art Teacher said...

Oh boy can I relate to this post. We had a rough one last week, and we are snowed in again!!!!! Ahhh! It is nap time for us now too and even though I should be doing lots of other things, I'm just sitting right here reading blogs.

Unknown said...

I can relate to all this. Benjamin (one of the boys I take care of) has screaming fits. He is 26 years old and screams at the top of his lungs. We have been working on anger management as it relates to his screaming and he is actually beginning to stop himself. Almost every day I tell him that he and Maryn would be great friends and now I know they would because his favorite song is Wheels on the Bus from the CD I gave you for Maryn. When she throws a tantrum, just look at the picture of that little sleeping angel and everything will be ok.