So...the pie crusts were kind of unthawable, freezer burnt...just a total mess. John can usually bring home whatever I need from Target every afternoon, but Target was sold out of pie crusts. Seriously? Seriously.
But apparently, it was all meant to be, because the pie turned out great. I did a crumble top/lattice top pie from Paula Deen's recipes on FoodNetwork.com and ended up making my own crust from the Crisco website, substituting butter flavor Crisco for original. It was looking absolutely perfect. John said it looked even better than Costco's apple pies, except it didn't have a caramel drizzle. So, what did I do? I melted up some caramels and made a caramel drizzle, too.
This was my first time making a lattice top, and honestly I would do it again. I loved it! And it looks great even though I was pretty sloppy. One drawback to the pie is that it was a bit runny. The recipe called for a whole 16 ounces of applesauce! Kind of weird, but it tasted great.
I would NOT have made a pie if I knew I'd be making homemade crusts. A one hour project became a three hour adventure with a toddler who, every 5 minutes, had to come give me kisses. Thank goodness JR was still here to keep her mostly occupied. And I loved and needed her kisses, too. Also thank goodness John and JR were up for ordering pizza and wings from Pizza Hut! 50 cent wing night!
But nothing beats a homemade crust. I may do it again sometime, but I will plan ahead and make the crust a day or two ahead of time. And take my time rolling it out. And maybe make the bottom a little bigger, since with a lattice top it's not such a big deal to be a tad small. And I'll do it on a day when LittleTyke isn't here, for sure.
So that's the story of my baking adventure. Now for some random photos.
Peek-A...
BOO!
4 comments:
Wow very impressive! Looks good for your first pie! I have always wanted to make a blueberry pie, or an apple caramel!
I don't like apple pie...but it looked yummy and probably smelled yummy too!
I've made several pies, mostly just apple because that's my favorite. And I've done homemade crust before, too--it's just a lot of work. But I've never done a lattice crust. I want to get a bigger pie pan and make a huge one with lattice crust. I think that would be prettier.
I ...W A N T.... S O M E
I LOVE APPLE PIE
Post a Comment