Tuesday, February 10, 2009

This post is boring. Sorry.


Maryn has been trying to drink out of our cups for a while now, so today I decided to give her one. It was empty of course. She seemed a bit disappointed.

Today we had a picnic at the park with my friends Michele and Teri. So with their kids, Maryn, and the two I babysat today, we had seven kids with us. It went pretty much without a hitch. I think the only problem was the bees. But we survived, and no one was stung.

I had my camera but forgot to take pictures. Too busy talking! It was so much fun and encouraging just to hang out with some moms for a while.

All three kids are sleeping right now, and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. Although I should be doing laundry. I think we're going to make some cupcakes. Then maybe I'll put away laundry tomorrow...

I'm feeling pretty tired today. We had a rough night last night and I slept in until 7:45. I kind of feel guilty about it. And, my day always goes a bit better when I get up early, even if I am exhausted. So I really should pulled my lazy butt out of bed. I wish I could drink coffee. I kind of wanted to go to the fair tonight because tickets are half price, but John and I have had rough weeks and Maryn's bed time is at 8 AND the kids are here until 6:30. I guess Maryn will have to wait until she's older to pet a camel. I haven't been to a county fair in over five years.

11 comments:

Erin said...

I'll have to join you at the park sometime! Also, I wanted to go to the fair too. But not this year...maybe next :)

Michele said...

Thanks for meeting us today. It was fun. I didn't even know the fair was in town, how dorky is that? haha

Erin said...

ps - you need to change your subtitle :) you ARE a mom now-- and not a1st grade teacher :) HEE HEE

Anonymous said...

hey Amanda, I just read a neat article on baby gestures and their vocabulary as when they are 4 and 5
Thought you might be interested. It is very true because going by the kids in our class who are speech delayed, there are very few times that they gesture. Hmmmm so me things to think about!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090212/hl_hsn/babygestureslinkedtovocabularydevelopment

Cathy
P.S. That means gesture AWAY with Maryn!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

They said on the news tonight that kids who use gestures are usually higher achievers scholastically. Keep up the good work. You may be raising a genius.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Agree on the gestures/sign language. We did a lot of signing with Evelyn and she was speaking at a very early age. And she's a genius . . . I know she gets the genes from me;)

John said...

I'm not really sure how we got on this topic, but I've been signing a bit with Maryn since she was born. I don't even do it around John anymore because he thinks it's dumb, and out in public people look at me like I'm one of THOSE parents. I know I shouldn't care. But, you know.

Maryn recognizes the sign for cat, it seems, and we do Mommy, Daddy, I Love You, and dog.

I would like to take a sign language class with her. There are some great ones where they sing and sign with the babies and their moms. But they say you should start around 6-9 months, and I don't know if John would be willing to pay for that. :)

I'd like to know more sign language songs because that helps me remember the signs, but I already do know quite a few. It's pretty easy.

Although, we will start swim lessons probably as soon as she turns 6 months.

Amanda said...

That was me that just posted under John's name!

Anonymous said...

Really??? That was you?? I thought maybe it was Rosa!

Sorry I changed the subject of your post!!! I just thought the baby gesture thing was interesting and it really does work!

And besides....you said yourself that your post was boring so I just thought I would spice it up a little :o)

Love ya....Cathy

Anonymous said...

We have a little boy in our morning class and both of his parents are deaf. He is so cute and he signs everything to us and the children as he speaks, because he is so used to doing it at home.
He has taught us so much and we have even started to see the other children sign some things back to him as they talk to him...it is very intersting to watch as they communicate.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Cathy - that is so neat.

Amanda - you don't have to take a class or anything. It's not weird and people will actually think you have a super-genious baby once she starts signing back around 7-8 months. You should get a book though. I had one but don't know where it is.

My neighbor, who's really goofy and usually gives me stuff that I absolutely do not want, gave it me. Her little boy has a sensory integration disorder. Anyway, I was going through stuff when I was pregnant or right after I had Evelyn and came across it and thought it looked interesting. The book was so convincing as to why you should sign with your baby, I was hooked.

The first word you teach them is around 7 months and it's 'more.' Then I believe milk and eat are next. Once they get those three down, you can move onto a whole range of words. Poop can be beneficial. Honestly, we got through those words with Evelyn in signing and she started speaking so articulately at 18 months that we sort of dropped it. We did those same words with Riley, but I wish we had done more because she has a tougher time communicating; tougher compared to Evelyn, compared to other kids her age, she's right on track:)