I have started reading a Proverb each day, and my goodness, the Proverbs are hitting me like they've never hit me before. Here are some great ones that are helping me with that mouth problem.
"The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness." -Proverbs 16:21
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat its fruits." -Proverbs 18:21
"A fool takes no pleasure in understanding but only in expressing his opinion." Proverbs 18:2
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." -Proverbs 15:1
Oh, how these verses have helped me while caring for these little ones. And how the Lord is preparing me for situations...the ones where I should speak up, and the ones where I should not. I am having a hard time finding a balance between saying things nicely and being straightforward. I admire those that can be straightforward but kind and gentle at the same time. I wish I knew how to be that way, and pray--oh, how I pray I can be that way, someday! And that I could be a better listener, less focused on formulating my own opinion, relying on the Holy Spirit for an answer (or for silence if that is what is due).
It's so hard when God works on our character. This is my "personality," and He wants to change it. This is such a bold prayer:
"Search me, Oh God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way."
-Psalm 139:24
And sometimes I wish not to pray it. For when I do, He reveals, and twists, and turns...He is the potter, and I am the clay, that's for sure. I pray for pliability!
Yay for Sophie! We're off to the bookstore and Staples!
My new pacifier! I only use it sometimes, in a state of emergency.
7 comments:
thanks for thinking of me. I live for these pictures.
Okay - I can see why you're convicted about the first one and maybe the second one. But where does the 3. come from?
You are the most self-disciplined and efficient person I know. Seriously, I babysat for over year and didn't plan in advance a single thing for the kids to do. Maybe I'm comparing you to me, but I think 3. might just be you being overly hard on yourself. Becoming a Mom is a HUGE adjustment, and you're doing great!
We could use a some little videos so we can see the new things Maryn is learning every day! Love the pics though too!
Cathy
Aww, I'm sorry. I am having super troubles figuring out our video camera. I need an easier one.
Kendra,
Have you ever noticed how self-disciplined John is? I guess that's why I'm harder on myself. I'm married to Jesus.
I just started reading through Proverbs too...I have slacked off so badly though. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get back on it. Maryn is such a pretty baby, love the pictures. I feel like I need to get Sophie for Libs, all of our blogs friends have her!
Hahaha.
Yeah, Richard and John have been talking back and forth via email. I was thinking just the other day that our husbands are NOT normal! But that's good for us:)
Mike Yaconelli (he passed away a few years ago) cofounded youth specialities. I should let you borrow some of his stuff. He'll make you feel convicted for being so hard on yourself! (It's absolutely untheological, but it's what I need to hear sometimes!)
Post a Comment