Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"The Darker the Night, the Brighter He Can Shine."

Most of these pictures are from yesterday, except I added one of my doula, Annemarie, since most of you didn't get to meet her.







Wow! I have so much to tell you, as we just survived our first night home with Maryn. But first I want to tell you about coming home.

Being checked out of the hospital is quite an ordeal. It was annoying. We were all ready to go but my nurse wasn't coming. We went ahead and put Maryn into the car seat, and despite Maryn loving to be constantly swaddled, she was sleeping just fine in her car seat with her little "Daddy Loves Me" outfit. When the nurse finally came, she was required to ramble on and on about everything I already know and then asked us if Maryn had her blood test done.

Blood test? Seriously. We just got this baby to sleep. She's in her car seat. And we have to do a blood test?

So this guy came in to do the test and John took stuff down to the car. I couldn't even get Maryn out of the car seat because my nails are too long to push the stupid button, so the blood test guy had to do it. He got her out for me, put some weird tape around her ankles, and then he left the room for another 5 minutes to go get the blood stuff. All the while she is unwrapped, which is normally tragedy for her. But she slept soundly.

He came back and John and I watched him prick her arm and her little foot for blood and put drops onto a paper. Maryn remained asleep and absolutely silent. Ah! Miracles!

When I finally climbed into the car, I got all teary. Finally, I was going home. After three days cooped up in that dark medicinal smelling room, I was going home with my family!

Now another part to my story. The most important part!

When I was in labor and we had to drive to the hospital, which is about 3 minutes away, I was having those terrible "pushing" contractions one right after another. They're not that terrible if you're actually allowed to push, but at that point, I was supposed to be "breathing through them." Ha. Well, I really didn't want to have those contractions in the car, so I was just praying in my head:

"Lord Jesus, no contractions, no contractions..."

We had our 33 Miles CD playing randomly and the music somewhat soothed me, and I didn't have ONE contraction the whole way there. Ask John if you don't believe me; this was another small miracle because my contractions had been constant.

When we got into the car to go home from the hospital, I was eager to see what song had been playing. I didn't remember what it was except that it had soothed me. It was "Jesus Calling."

Here is the chorus:

When you see the rushing wind, feel the pouring rain,
Hear the thunder now as the clouds roll in
And you're blinded by the lightning
do you also hear that still small voice saying
It's okay, you're not alone, you may be scared to death,
But I won't let you go
You may think the sky is falling
But can you hear Jesus calling?

And suddenly just everything about preparing for Maryn's birth, planning her birth, preparing for labor, and the way things turned out, everything made perfect sense.

During my labor, even when I was strapped to a table by mean medical staff as if I were being cruicified during horrible contractions, even when I didn't get to hold my baby right away as planned, I was able to praise God. The whole time I was never in a panic. Not because I'm some kind of superwoman (HA!), but because the power of Jesus Christ lives in me.

Please consider purchasing 33 Miles' CD. I'm assigning song #2 to Maryn has her "life song," and our special song. So that means all of you should have it, too!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!

bcl said...

I have the CD in my car right now. That song is actually what helps me get through each day of this struggle I'm going through! I love it!

So glad you got to go home and everything went fairly smoothly. Can't wait to see you guys back in BLG. I call first to hold her during class! :)

Crystal said...

Yay Congrats! :)

Also I need some clarification... is the beginning of Maryn's name pronounced like the beginning of Mary or Marla?

Amanda said...

It's like Mary. Most people spell it Maren, but since I was naming her after my grandmother Mary, we decided to keep the y there. Thanks for asking!

Bethany Gaddis said...

I sent the link to this blog to Jase and his wife Jen! Tee hee!

Kara said...

So, how are you feeling about having visitors over? I know some people prefer to have the first few days at home for family, others love to have visitors. I'd love to come see you and little Maryn, but want to make sure you feel comfortable with having visitors! I can't wait to hear the story about Maryn's hand! :)

God bless!
Kara

Michele said...

Sitting here with tears in my eyes reading your post. God is good and always works things out for His Glory...thank you for sharing and bring glory to Him through this experience. I know we barely know each other, but I'd love to get to know you more as your journey through motherhood begins. God Bless Amanda!