Monday, September 22, 2008

R e i n v e n t i o n

This one young man I know has decided to "reinvent" himself. It made me laugh (jealously) because teenagers can do these things, just change their style, so simply. Me, I'm stuck in rut. It would take a lot to reinvent myself. This guy wants to start dressing differently because people have apparently been stereotyping him unfairly. I don't know if people are stereotyping me, but I've been watching What Not to Wear quite a bit lately, and it's making me think.

I'm the type of girl they sometimes have on the show that is stuck in high school/college. Sigh. It's embarassing to say that, but it's true. I guess I'm so used to having this "cute" persona, I just rode with it. But it's time to grow up.

I look in my closet and honestly, the only things that Clinton and Stacey would approve of are Christmas gifts from my mother-in-law. She's much more stylish. She bought me the fitted jacket they would love, the dark skinny pants, perfect for short people like me, dark jeans and the nicely fitted collared shirts. But everything I choose is girly and juvenile.

Do I have the money to reinvent myself? Absolutely not. Plus, it's not like I need business wear anymore. And I don't think John would go for me suddenly shopping exclusively at Macy's and Ann Taylor. It's more of a JC Penney/Kohl's/Target life for me. And I already know how things work out in those stores. The women's clothes look old and frumpy. Plus they're too big for me, so everything needs to be hemmed. The juniors clothes are cute and fit me well. I need my very own Stacey and Clinton, plus $5,000. Maybe I should submit my application for the show.

2 comments:

bcl said...

Kohls' womens clothes do not look old and frumpy! I wear some of them. lol...you can find good stuff there you just have to look hard sometimes. Maybe you should just go shopping with your mom-in-law for help :).

Jeff of course said...

You know this is silly to think about.