
I was watching Ellen today, and was touched and heartbroken by the story of an organization called Island Dog. In Puerto Rico, there is an area where people commonly just drop off their unwanted pets. This area is known as "Dead Dog Beach," and many of the dogs are just that--dead, or on the brink of death.
This organization rescues the dogs and either nurses them back to
health or takes them to a shelter that can nurse them back to health. Here is a before and after picture of Gracey, a dog very blessed to have been found.This story was not shocking to me, as I am very familiar with the stray dogs roaming around Immokalee, let loose by their owners who no longer wanted them.
I am a serious pet lover. If you know me, you know I love my cat practically as much as I love anyone. I am convinced that dogs and cats have personalities, feelings, and yes, emotions. Animal cruelty is a serious issue, and we just have to teach our children/the next generation better.
Always spay and neuter!
"In 6 years one unsterilized female dog can produce 67,000 puppies. One unsterilized female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 kittens in 7 years." -Islanddog.org
Always buy from a shelter.
"There is an estimated 450 "pet shops"selling unhealthy, uncertified, and poorly kept animals in Peurto Rico. Many of these shops are illegally vaccinating and treating dogs. Most pets will find the streets their home when they graduate from their "cute stage." -Islanddog.org I bet this happens in the 50 states, too! $300-$700 for a purebred dog from a breeder is too much money when you can change the life of a dog like Gracey. And...many of these animals that need homes ARE purebred.
Educate!
When I was teaching, I always took two weeks to teach about pet care and love for animals. You would be surprised of the horrible stories and comments I heard from my students. I won't even share here because it will sicken most of you. If you are a teacher or work with children, teach the kids respect for animals and how to properly care for them.
Take Animal Cruelty Seriously
Also as a teacher, if I heard a child joking about something mean or inappropriate they did to an animal (bird, snake, lizard, whatever), I took it very seriously. On the humane society's website, I read, "While some children kill insects, few torture pets or other small creatures. If allowed to harm animals, children are more likely to be violent later in life. Animal cruelty, like any other violence, should never be attributed to a stage of development."
Adoption
Take animal adoption seriously, and what type of animal you adopt seriously as well. If it doesn't work out, always take the animal back to the shelter where you got him/her. Now is a great time to adopt since Tropical Storm Fay and Hurricane Gustav. Many pets are abandoned or lost after hurricanes.
Thank you for listening to my lecture. When you think about adopting a pet or know someone who is, remind them of homeless pets.
3 comments:
You should be vegan.
Hahaha.
You are almost making me want another doggy. Almost!
Cathy
Post a Comment