Friday, December 20, 2002

Oh, just to add something about Kendra reading the novel "Christy." That's cool, really cool. I just wanted you all to know that I wasn't referring to that novel, or rather, that series. I was referring to Agatha Christie, an excellent mystery writer. She has a really cool autobiography out and her books are interesting but not really grip-the-edge-of-your-seat, so you don't ever know what to expect, but you know that whatever it is, it's not a HUGE deal. I'm sorry, it was a poor analogy to my life. No one reads Agatha Christie.

Right now I am reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I highly suggest Ishmael to everyone. It is very strange and quirky, not feminine at all, but not too masculine either...it's about the life of a gorilla, told by a gorilla to some man. I just started it, so I can't give the details. Sylvia Plath, I don't suggest her because she is depressing. However, I feel a nice womanly bond to her in that weird literature sense. She was an amazing writer. It seems as though all the truly great woman writers kill themselves. Oh, no one understands the depths of a soul that can only release their thoughts to pieces of paper...

Or maybe the fact that some people do write things on paper further depresses them and that leads to suicide.

I should stop talking about death. One time my mom thought I was suicidal. In life I have been many things and in high school and junior high, I probably should have been suicidal, but I'll have you know, I've never been suicidal. I really do love my life. I'm almost positive it couldn't be much better. It's got the perfect balance of excitement and boredom...like an Agatha Chris---oh, nevermind. Lillian Jackson Braun is another mystery writer that is like Agatha Christie. Her books are about a man that solves mysteries with the help of his two siamese cats. He lives on the border of Canada and Minnesota (I think) and when he rides his old, banana seat bike into their dinky town, everyone knows him and he writes a newspaper column that the entire town reads and loves (all ten of them). There's an interesting little magic/new age/witchcrafty sort of store in the town, which is entirely out of place but adds this certain realization that people are very superstitious, mysterious, and insane. Very interesting, yes? Please note: If you actually read this entire entry word for word you probably have a mental disorder. I'm sorry for adding to your problem. You shouldn't have wasted your time.

No comments: