After a day in the life of a first grade teacher I'll just say a few things...
I love kids. They love me.
With first graders I am happy, happy as could be.
Heck with my own life anyway, who really cares?
If I die single and childless, I'll be just fine.
(I hope I don't, but I'll live if I do).
They didn't believe me when I said I was seventy-five
And told me I wasn't that old, I was only fifty-seven.
They were ever-so-quiet for me,
Payed attention so well, their teacher was shocked
And I was amazed at myself.
I wore my santa hat all day but when they called me"Mrs. Clause,"
I said, "No way, I'm an elf!"
When they said goodbye,
I'll admit I almost did cry,
After only twelve hours, it's true.
Maybe I can't be a teacher, because kids,
It's SO hard to say goodbye to you!
Our stupid cat, Mozart, "Mozie," got a bed and a scratching post for Christmas. He doesn't use the scratching post. He still scratches on the wall next to it. What a dork. Can I just say, TOULOUSE never scratched on ANYTHING! He didn't have a bed and no one loved him but me and he died, the poor thing died of sadness and misery. My family gave him ulcers.
We went to eat tonight at good ol' Das Dutch Kitchen, the occupation which stole away a good portion of three years of my teenage life. Too bad the old crew isn't there, though...I loved those kids. Jimmy doesn't read this, but I'll tell you all now, he is one of the best guys ever and totally looked out for me. It was good to have substitute older brothers around. This restuarant is awesome and if you are reading this, you have automatically committed to eating there. It is on Rt. 30 on your way to Orrville/Wooster if you're coming from the east, and on your way to Massillon if you're coming from the west. It's only about 2 minutes from Orrville. Call me up and we'll do lunch.
First graders have not changed...there's still the big kids that are much too large for their age, the small kids that are much to small for their grade, the cute little boys who are going to be popular in high school and the girls that are going to be absolute knock-outs, the kids who are bad only for attention, the kids who drift into the background and are usually ignored (that was me), the extremely gifted, the extremely withdrawn, the ones who don't pay attention, the kid whose shoes are never tied, the girls who dance, the boys who would rather play trumpet than football, the girls who'd rather play soccer than twirl the baton, the kid who swears his mom told him to ride the bus today, the kids who cry for seemingly no reason, the girl who always works ahead, the boy that is always behind, the girl who can write stories pages long, the boy who can add and subtract using nothing but his head, the kid who doesn't have socially acceptable shoes and clothes and homework folders, the kid who has it all and won't associate with those who don't, but mostly, most, yes--most--first graders don't care what you look like or who you are, whether you're slow, fast, silly, crazy, funny, boring, or sad, as long as you treat them with respect and love, as long as you return their smiles, embrace them when they're hurt, and listen to what they have to say. And they have amazing, wonderful things to say.
Never underestimate the power of one little child, of one little life.
Friday, December 20, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment