Friday, August 06, 2010

"I think you have a future swimmer on your hands..."











"I think you have a future swimmer on your hands," is what Dr. Grady said this morning as he was explaining exactly what happened during my "labor" and delivery of Josiah.

John and I went into the hospital at 7:20 am yesterday morning to be induced. After my induction, I planned to have an epidural and maybe watch a movie or something during my labor. :)

Well, the doctor wanted to break my water first because apparently this speeds things up and helps make it so that less pitocin is needed. A person who is trying to have a VBAC can't take too much pitocin because it increases the risk of tear, and it also is just a yucky, painful drug. Well, the dr. was a little surprised ("This is bizarre," I think were his words) that he really could not break my water ("OUCH!" is what I think were my words). But eventually, after much rebellion from Josiah and after a lot of pain/prayer/panic, my water broke.

And sweet baby Josiah went straight into a transverse position, head to the left. Then he went transverse to the right. By the time of my emergency c-section, the doctor said he was folded in half, his hands touching his feet and his head below his knees. A perfect diving position. John says he was in a great flipturn position. Flipturns are one of the hardest things John had to teach his swimmers, so we're glad Josiah already knows what he's doing.

Anyway, the doctor said he has never delivered a baby in that position. But leave it to me to deliver an um...unique baby.

When I found out I was having a c-section I must admit I felt a bit of relief. No labor! I kind of hate labor. It just doesn't end well for me. But I was dreading that recovery time I experienced in Naples. But this hospital did things completely differently. Although I was totally under and didn't get to see sweet Josiah immediately after birth, he was in my arms and nursing as soon as I woke up and mommy and baby were happy as could be.

So Josiah was born at 8:27 am and weighed 7 lbs. 3 ounces and is 20 inches long. To me, he looks nothing like his sister but has his daddy's strong brow, nose, and maybe his daddy's chin. He has a mouth that's kind of like an overbite that is just so cute. And he looks very much like a boy. I think it's the strong brow.

Josiah seems to have a sweet, laid back disposition so far. He likes noise and sleeps best when things are busy, so we've had him in the nursery at night. He doesn't like the dark silence of the hospital room at night. Josiah hasn't had a pacifier and we are so grateful for that.

Maryn LOVES her baby brother and is nearly obsessed with him, always wanting to see his "tiny toes." She checks to make sure he has his ears, eyes, chin, nose, etc. every time she visits. She gives him LOTS of hugs and kisses and pats him saying, "Don't cry, baby." She also likes to say, "It's okay, baby," and "Yuh-you Yosiah!" (Love you Josiah!). It's pretty cute.

I just posted pics on facebook....more tomorrow...computer is about to die and internet connection is bad so talk to ya'll later!

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement. We wish we could have some visits with ALL of you!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Ohhh yeah Baby J! So glad you are here safe & sound. I am glad things went ok, Amanda. I know the recovery is tough, but he's here and he looks so perfect. What a gift from God! I hope you are all adjusting and getting some rest (as much as you can)!

Teri said...

Congratulations, Amanda! He is so adorable and you are such a strong, incredible, trooper of a mommy! Thanks for such awesome and detailed updates! You rock!!