Kendra has decided to join this trek with me through the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. You can find her blog at http://www.kendrawestkendle.blogspot.com/, where she will be posting about the book as well as other things, I'm sure. We would love for you to join us and our husbands in this book study.
John and I are realizing how important--no, crucial--it is to study church history, to read the classics, to know the accomplishments and mistakes of those who have gone before us. In the theological process, there are several aspects and disciplines, them being: exegesis, biblical theology, systematic theology, historical theology, philosophical theology, practical theology, and apologetics. In many of the groups and studies we've done, the focus has been on the philosophical and the practical. Our desire right now is to get back to the first four.
Exegesis: The process of seeing to determine the correct meaning out of a particular passage of Scripture.
Biblical Theology: The study of scriptural revelation based on the historical framework presented in the Bible.
Systematic Theology: A study that answers the question, "What does the whole Bible teach us today about a given topic?"
Historical Theology: The study of how believers in different eras of the history of the church have understood various theological topics. (This all taken from the article: Biblical Doctrine: An Overview by Erik Thoennes)
Now, about Mere Christianity so far. I am not going to write a very good essay right now because Maryn is requiring my attention, but here goes.
My first impressions:
I read the preface, forward, chapter one and part of chapter two through rather quickly. I intend to go back and read at least some of it more carefully. But I found it so easy to read, so conversational.
This reminded me of my love for conversational writing. I remember reading James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and the love I had for that tone. But at the same time I was reminded of the conversational tone of the Eldredges' books and how much I disliked it. Why? What is the difference?
It is so refreshing to hold in my hands a book by a Christian author that, although I don't agree with everything he says, I can respect him and his opinion. C.S. Lewis is an amazing writer. When a book is poorly written it is difficult, almost impossible for me to respect the views of the writer. Am I being picky? Overly critical? No. Paul said, "Test everything..." (1 Thes. 5:21) Teachers of the Bible carry a heavy burden, as well they should (1 Tim 4:6-7, 13, 16, Titus 1:9). Everything a teacher teaches affects the lives and hearts of his hearers. So books and sermons are carefully prayed over, carefully written, carefullly edited. It's the reason lawyers, textbooks, and scientists have editors. No one will respect a writer or listen to their ideas if they think they can publish a book, for goodness sake, that rambles on in a bunch of nonsense. Well, I guess that's not true. The Eldredges have made millions from their ramblings
Why are we not more discerning? Why are we not more critical of the things we read, hear, see? We should be. In a world that tells us to be open minded. In a world that criticizes us when we are critical. What does the Bible say about that?
"Judge not, lest thou be judged," is a classic example of how Scripture is so often taken out of context. I'm not even going to take the time here to write out a decent argument because Maryn is being difficult, and it's just idiocy I don't feel like taking the time on, but here are some good verses.
"Judge with right judgment (John 7:24)." Jesus said that!
"I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say (1 Cor. 10:15)." -Paul
"Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside...(1 Cor. 5:12-13)."
I have been praying that God would take my critical spirit and turn it into something for good, and I certainly believe He is working on me. I'm really starting to discern when it is right to be critical, and when it is wrong. Because being discerning and being critical can be admirable instincts. But my imperfect human nature and Satan will of course try to twist it for bad. And maybe a critical spirit is more often bad than it is good, but it can be good. Instincts, all human instincts, can be used for either good or bad. Which is a topic in Mere Christianity. A topic coming up soon.
I think many churches today take this right that we have to judge fellow believers the wrong way. What has happened to church discipline? The church can place rules and expectations upon its people, at least its leaders. No tattoos, no drinking, no this or that. But when a born again brother or sister is involved in actual sin we are told to just "love them." Just be an example. Blah blah blah. I'm not saying I'm good at keeping people accountable, because I'm not. But it just isn't what the Bible says. That's not how we're to deal with fellow Christians.
I know that I have been corrected and held accountable, and each time I was blessed, even grateful.
Well, here's to my critical spirit. God gave it to me for a reason, and I pray He uses it for His glory.
Citations:
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
www.kendrawestkendle.blogspot.com
1 comment:
Amanda, she looks just like you!
Post a Comment