When I was little, my mom would pack ham and cheese sandwiches on white bread, some fruit (usually watermelon, plumbs or peaches), little Hugs drinks and soda, and we would go swimming all day at a place like Caskey's, which was a pond where little guppies swam near the shore.
I tried to recreate this wonderful memory a little bit by buying ham and cheese this week, along with some peaches and watermelon. But this never quite works for us because we get ham that has no preservatives and Publix doesn't cut it like Beuhler's does and the bread is always wheat and I never use mayonnaise anymore. The watermelon here never has any seeds and therefore is NOT the watermelon I grew up with and does not taste nearly as juicy and scrumptious. And I certainly don't drink little Hugs or soda. AND I definitely don't go swimming around in ponds in southwest Florida for obvious reasons. And I don't have a cute little cooler to carry everything in, either.
I can't even walk in the grass in my sandals, much less bare feet because of fire ants, prickly grass, and weird pesticides.
So I guess I'm a little homesick because summer in this place doesn't feel quite right. I don't want my baby to experience summer this way.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You know....the house beside your mom is for sale...would make a great little first home for you guys. Nice finished basement, yard, garage, etc. And the best part is your mom right beside you and ME right down the street....It doesn't get much better than that!
Your baby could enjoy crawling around in nice soft grass, swinging in a bay swing attached to your mom's tree, playing on a blanket under the shade tree, etc.
Geez...I am making myself want my childhood back!!!!!!
Cathy
sorry....meant baby swing!! oops
I am not going to say a word!!!!
YOU ARE NOT.....NOT MOVING!
Where are you from? You mentions Buehler's. Like Buehler's Buy Low, the grocery store. We have that where we are from.
I am from Orrville, Ohio.
Post a Comment