Yesterday was John's birthday. It went by hardly recognized because we've been so busy this week. Instead of going out for a special dinner and such, John chose to go to our Childbirth Education class.
My husband is the most godly, the most amazing man I have ever known or ever could have dreamed. I take the time to lift him up today because he doesn't nearly receive the recognition he deserves. He doesn't preach in front of crowds every Sunday, but his knowledge of the Bible and dedication to reading God's Word exceeds most others'. He doesn't write books, but his thoughts and interests are as complex as the several books he's read in the last year about swimming, running, history, theology...
John wakes up very early to be sure he can get in plenty of work hours to support our family. He'll do little things around the house like start the dishwasher even though it's five thirty and most of us would be brain dead at that time. And he never forgets to kiss me goodbye and say he loves me.
John is a leader of quiet strength who teaches me and holds me accountable but has almost never hurt my feelings or made me feel inadequate. And trust me, I am very susceptible to those feelings. I call him when I'm lost on my way to the mall and he doesn't laugh at my idiocy, despite that I have been there dozens of times.
After a long day at work, he will come home and run anywhere between 5 and 10 miles. Then he will help make dinner or sometimes make the entire thing.
John knows and remembers every little thing about me, like that I don't like to be frightened. So he'll make sure I know he is home and he won't jump out from any corners or try to come up behind me unexpectedly. This seems silly, but it means so much to me, to feel safe in my own home.
He doesn't torment me with disgusting guy things, like putting his armpits in my face (I hate armpits) and the other nasty things a lot of men do. Use your imagination for that one.
John truly loves me as Christ loves the church (see Ephesians 5:25-33) and I feel he gives himself up for me daily, loving me as he loves his own body and making me feel radiant.
Though John's discipline, strength, and his love for me isn't near the depth of Christ's, these qualities in John have been a concrete model of Christ in my life and His love for me. Because I am so overwhelmed by the grace God has shown me by giving me such an incredible lifelong best friend, I am better able to understand the unsurpassing love of Christ. I thank John for teaching me that, not with his words, but with every action he takes.
John, you are a blessing to me, an example of Christ and the grace of God, because I know I've done nothing to deserve this life. I truly thank God for you every day.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OK, this one wasn't even about me and I am crying. I always tell everyone I know "Thank God for John, he is the perfect life mate for Amanda."
You guys really do complement each other well. You are kind of a role model to me of what a marriage should look like. Although I'm sure you're not perfect, but who is?? I think it really is true that the closer you get to God, the closer you get to each other.
P.S. - Are you going to the Marriage Retreat this year? We are! I am soo excited for it.
I found your blog! That was amazing what you wrote about John. Thanks for the encouragement. Glad we got to meet you two in birth class. We should get together sometime! :)
Post a Comment