I went to the doctor today for my car accident injuries and guess what video I saw? Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel." I wasn't particularly fond of the song, but I like it now! Here's a really stupid poem I wrote describing my day today.
Now I lay me down to not sleep
Because I was hit by a runaway creep.
I don’t know his story, that’s true,
“But what about me?!” I scream at you!
I could have yelled at everyone today.
I hated the world and all they had to say.
Asking me dumb questions of this or that—
Telling me that maybe I was driving too fast.
I wanted to stay in and lock myself away.
Sleeping in the closet might be okay.
Don’t try to comfort me or give me sympathy,
But please spoil me and hold me like a baby.
Twisting metal and crunching glass--
Echoes of my silent scream that I thought may be my last—
My life didn’t flash before my eyes.
All I thought was, “Why is this person such a dumb---.?”
What excellent thoughts to have just before a crash.
Now I am tingly and my hands are numb.
I have a million things to do before Monday comes.
Exhausted, but no sleep.
Boy, that idiot got off real cheap.
I went to church despite the urge to hide.
Faced the same smiling faces as every Saturday night.
I learned things I didn’t expect—
I was reminded that God cared about the pain in my neck.
I was reminded that joy doesn’t grow from good days
Or even a happy home.
Joy comes from Christ alone.
It is offered to me every day.
Today, I just picked it up a bit late.
“And I will sleep in peace, Oh Lord. For you alone make me dwell in safety.” -Psalm 55:11
Sunday, January 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amanda,
We are so glad your injuries are not worse. We will miss you at the wedding. Maybe you should have come to Ohio this weekend? Take care and we know that God is taking care of you( maybe not your car though)!
Love, Aunt Vicky
You're right! I should have come to Ohio! I've learned my lesson!
Post a Comment