Saturday, July 18, 2009

Who are you and what have you done with my child?





Allow me to introduce you to our new baby girl, who is not so very much like a baby anymore, with her four teeth, weighing a whopping (haha) 17 pounds, eating grilled cheese sandwiches, and tearing into anything and everything within sight. I can hardly get a picture of her. Nevertheless, I have posted a few pictures of her here, throwing things about and yelling. She definitely does understand "No," or perhaps just my tone of voice while saying "No," and "Maryn Louise..." She will crawl away from whatever danger when she hears me use this tone, only to turn around and get right back into it again.

She hasn't been too happy with her pureed foods anymore and is wanting, of course, to feed herself all the time. So I've done a bit of asking around and we're trying to find ways to feed her nutritionally without spending a fortune. Our latest bright discovery is wheat toast with anything on it--melted cheese, hummus, jam.

While feeding a ten month old really isn't that difficult, it is a bit harder at camp, since we don't always know exactly what will be for lunch and dinner, and I would be in the way if I went back to the kitchen to cook every meal. And neither John or I has time for that, for sure. So, I guess we'll just work on using up the rest of our purees that have been frozen, and slowly move into finger foods. I think we will also try veggie burgers broken into little bits. I have heard that is a good option, as well as some soft little pastas. She had some steamed zucchini the other night and she loved that. But of course, her favorite is bananas. Bananas, bananas, bananas!

Today we went to Peterborough, which is such an adorable little town. But a lot of the people dress like hippies, which seems odd to me. I kind of think that dreadlocks on a white person is gross. White people's hair just wasn't made for that sort of thing, for sure.

7 comments:

Erin said...

she is indeed looking like a little girl. love her KU outfit! it's fun to see that she and hope are going through the same stages - however, hope is in the "resisting every single sort of food stage..." hmmm.... this is interesting for sure! glad that all is going well at camp. oh, and ps - hope LOVES deli turkey and ham - maybe that would be an option for Maryn! That's actually one thing she is not resisting :)

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!! The cheerleader outfit finally fits her! She is adorable!
Appreciate the inquisitive little mind she has and keep giving and doing activities with her to make all those little neurons in her little head keep multiplying and connecting to each other!
Her brain is literally a beehive of activity right now and each of those little catacombs is holding a wealth of knowledge she will draw from the rest of her life!
Go Maryn!!

Cathy

Kendra said...

I warned you: 7 to 16 months is hard! Haha. Enjoy it! It goes by so fast.

Amanda said...

Cathy--I know! I couldn't wait for it to fit her. She loves it, and it really isn't too long for crawling. It kind of flips up enough so that it doesn't get in the way.

Erin--Lucky for us, the kitchen staff here slices fresh chicken and turkey for us. It's not even processed stuff, which is what I am trying to avoid for as long as I can. I'm looking forward to giving her some, but I haven't yet.

Kendra--You were not joking! I think Maryn's tough stage is just starting now, at about 10 months. It is going to be
one
exciting
year.

Anonymous said...

She is adorable in the cheerleader outfit, but that is the first time I ever saw a one-legged cheerleader. What happened to her other leg? or am I the only one to notice this?

Cheryl

Michele said...

I agree with Kendra....this age seems to be the hardest stage for me. Remember a couple of months ago when you were saying you want another baby Amanda? This was the stage we told John to wait for:-) and that strong desire may decline a bit, hahaha. It can be fun....but it definitely takes some creativity right now. Know this...she's doing everything she's suppose to be doing:-)

Amanda said...

Yes Michele, I definitely remember that conversation and had been thinking about it while writing this post. Now I know what you were all talking about first hand!