Sunday, July 26, 2009

John's Birthday

Last night, the staff had a barbecue and at about 9:00 we set up a projector and watched the movie August Rush on the side of a house. Maryn was sleeping next door, so I was able to actually attend. It was better than going to the movies, AND it was free.

So we were sitting under a million bright stars. Young 18 and 19 year old couples were sitting around us. It was romantic.

The movie was about an orphan, parenthood, family, music, faith, and dreams.

It all took me back to a night where I was sitting beneath the stars with a bunch of my high school friends, the summer after graduation, when we were in Haiti. I believe that night we were supposed to be praying and singing to God. I, let's be honest, was probably thinking about guys.

I thought about these young people last night, and the way they must pretend to barely know each other when campers are here. On Saturdays I'm sure they can't wait to talk to their boy/girlfriend, hold hands, have a few romantic moments (hopefully not too romantic). Ohh, there are so many things to do and think about in marriage. Especially with children. One can just look at their spouse one day and wonder...how much time has past since I held them? Would I spend ten years searching for them if they were lost? Would nothing in this world separate us?

Last night, I just thought a lot about where I've been, where I am going, what I have lost, and what I have gained. Nearly ten years have passed since that night on the roof in Haiti. So much can change in a decade. I pray the next ten years, I will chase. I will search. I will love. Not just the little ones that run in and around and through my feet, my house, my yard. But the one who lies beside me each night, takes out our trash and holds my hand on long car rides. He is a part of me as much as any other part of me, yet he is always the first to be neglected or mistreated. He is forever patient, kind and hard working, yet I am quick to correct every fault and mistake I catch. I am like a sand sifter. All the soft parts fall through and the rough parts I collect and save (Love keeps no record of wrongs). Praise God that he does not treat me this way in return! Praise God that Christ doesn't treat me this way, either, and that my very own husband is an example of God's redeeming love for me.

I love you, John. Happy Birthday.

No comments: