Wednesday, June 03, 2009

New Books, Baby Genius and Cuddling

John and I just returned from Goodwill and we bought 9 fantastic books for 5 dollars. John even found some of the books he needed for school. I found some of the expensive touchy-feely Usborne books Maryn likes. Did you know that you can be a sales representative for Usborne books? Very interesting.

Here are the titles John chose:

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney 75 cents
How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth by Fee and Stuart 75 cents
The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller $2.00

I chose one book, by Thomas a Kempis, who was mentioned often in the book Stepping Heavenward. It's called The Imitation of Christ. It was written in the early 1400s. Crazy. I wonder if I'll get past the first page. It cost about 50 cents, so at least I can put it on our shelf and it will make it seem as though we are very intellectual. It's even well worn, so it is apparent that someone was reading it. I just won't tell anyone that it wasn't me!

Here are the board books we bought for Maryn:

Find the Teddy and That's Not My Train (Usborne books) 50 cents each
Two Bible story books, Adam and Eve and Joseph's New Coat 50 cents each
Count Your Blessings by Dandi Daley Mackall, which is sooo cute and like brand new. It was only 25 cents!

Maryn has been pointing at things in books and all around her. It is THE cutest thing. She always points to the cookies in one of her books. It is so sweet. Sometimes, she points to all the faces, or all the flowers, as if she were counting.

Maryn and I have had to sleep in the same room while we've been here, and this has led to John sleeping in another room so he doesn't wake her with his snoring and wallowing. But she hasn't been quite making it until 7 am, and instead has been waking up at 4, 5 or earlier. So I bring her to bed with me. This is not ideal, and it will be temporary, but I have enjoyed our cuddling. She will fall asleep next to me now without even nursing. I love it. And I will enjoy her before she graduates from college, gets married and leaves us. I kiss her eyelids and whisper good night.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We have the Spiritual Disciplines book and think very highly of it. I just used the 4th chapter on Prayer to supplement my reading of Mighty Prevailing Prayer. WOW!

Jennifer said...

If there is ever a book that Jon needs to get for school and it is really expensive or that he knows that he doesn't want to keep. Check out Chegg.com you can rent textbooks... it is a lot cheaper and your house won't get crowded with huge Textbooks.