Monday, January 19, 2009

Success!

Saturday Maryn rolled over for the first time, back to belly. Now she likes to do this in her bouncy seat:
Today was my first day of earning money once again. Maryn and I woke up at 6 to read, eat and prepare. The three kids, ages 2 1/2, 3 and 4 came at 8. The day went very well, very smoothly. Partly because John got home at 10:30, but I think the at-home day care was a good career choice.

The morning was intense, with a preschool-like schedule, but the afternoon was laid back with lots of outside and inside free time, some Candyland, a movie, some arts and crafts. We made maracas. But I still managed to do a load of diapers and kept the downstairs clean. See, John? We can have four kids. No problem!

OK, so at least I didn't have to deal with baths. Or grocery shopping. All of that. Still, I am happy with it. It's not like it doesn't take a lot of prep and a lot of self-discipline. Maryn actually slept a lot. I think the kids wore her out.

Yesterday Maryn and I went to Alicia's bridal shower. Maryn wore her pink tutu. Here she is dancing with daddy.


With Auntie Alicia:


And playing with her feet:



I hope Maryn doesn't grow up to be one of those kids that only eats macaroni and cheese and butter noodles. I really hope John and I have the gumption to say, "If you don't eat dinner, you can just wait for breakfast tomorrow!" We shall see... I'm certainly not judging anyone. I've already done lots of things I thought I'd never do. For now, however, the kids I am babysitting will be eating a lot of PB & J and applesauce.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep a watch on the peanut butter!
Love the cute little ballerina.

I loved doing home daycare! I have tons of activities if you ever need an idea!

Cathy

Erin said...

Yeah for rolling over! Hope hasn't done back to tummy. Maybe Maryn will teach her. So glad that daycare went well! How fun!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, that Brian and I found out we are going to have a little girl yesterday!

Kendra_Kendle said...

Ah, yay for Kalyn having a little girl! I love having girls:) We're not going to be able to do arranged marriages if someone doesn't have a boy soon!

I always said I wouldn't feed my kids french fries . . . LOL. Yeah, right. Riley is eating tortilla chips for breakfast as we speak. I did make them organic oat bran with real maple syrup though. The bag was still on the table from last night.

You just need to serve healthy diverse meals and not keep a lot of junk food around. Riley will eat whole tomatoes like apples and Evelyn loves raw cauliflower (in ranch) and broccoli (cooked), but try to give Evelyn the tomato and Riley the cauliflower and you'll have issues. I always try to put one healthy item on the table at every meal that I know everyone will eat.

Amanda said...

I think the problem you run into with kids eating is that french fries and nuggets are just so easy to eat. It's not like we all have time to spoon food our kids a demolished burrito. It's just not something you're going to do that often.