Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Hatefulness

I have been trying really hard not to be hateful, mean, or even to think hateful and mean things. I started focusing on this yesterday, based on some Ephesians and stuff, and what do you know, I was faced with like, nearly impossible situations all day yesterday and today.

The biggest (and most entertaining) situation has to do with this girl in my Arts class. It's the one who is "the most creative person she knows." Yeah, that girl that I talked about in a previous entry. Anyway, it's war between us. Not really, because I'm going to be nice. However, if I were one of those vicious girls who are rather slap-happy, I'd be laying the smack down Vannessa Brown/Shagala Simpson (girls I went to school with) style. This involves pulling out chunks of hair and such. Anyway, I am working on controlling my anger...

Tim and I sang the "De Moose" song which nearly all kids love, even those reluctant 3rd grade boys who won't sing. I've sang this song with literally at least a thousand kids and it's never been a problem. But what do you know, someone (she) had to make a big deal out of it that the moose dies at the end (he decomposes). It's not mean, it's not graphic, it's nature, you know? So I can see that someone might want to point out that it MIGHT not be a good idea in some cases, but Little Miss Thinks-She's-the-Best was totally rude and mean and inconsiderate about it... And you know, it was a lesson that we had to do for a grade and she made us look like idiots. I suppose she IS so much more intelligent because she's 27 and has her own kids.

Her argument was that her son would not have enjoyed the song because his dog just died. Yeah, that really is sad and I'm sorry. I'm still mourning the loss of Toulouse from like three years ago, so I feel your pain. But you don't have to all smart about it and for the love of Pete, the world does move on. You can't avoid the issue of death when a kid has just lost someone or something...it'll come up in so many things....reading a book about a dog, for instance, could have made her "poor little boy" cry too, I'm sure, more than the fun and exciting "De Moose" song. So eat it, sista.

Once again, I am working on my anger. Pray for me in this process. It isn't going well, as you can see.

No comments: