Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

Happy Birthday to my Mom!

One of my favorite memories of my mom...

So, my mom was a single mom for a while.  It was just her and me, and she had this creepy stalker for a few years.  It's kind of a long story I won't go into here.  Anyway, the stalker eventually went crazy crazy, and burnt down a house down our street and stabbed my mom's water bed and stole her purse and tried to steal her car...Anyway, not all that happened at once, but let's just say my mama and I were a little freaked out.  She never let me see her scared much, but I remember we slept in the living room together for a while after he stabbed her water bed.  We slept in the living room and she sang "Kumbaya My Lord."  Which is actually kind of hilarious.  If you know my mom,  you know how much she enjoys "Negro Spiritual Songs," as Kumbaya is described on Wikipedia.  I am not sure where in the world my mom thinks of her bed time songs.  For Maryn she sang The Farmer in the Dell.  I'm thinking maybe I'll make her a list of some good ones before she babysits again.  ;-)

Anyway, as we laid there singing Kumbaya (I can't even type that without laughing), I thought she had the most beautiful singing voice in the world.  And God really did use that song, and her presence, to give me peace.  She was (and is) a wonderful protector.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There used to be a song she sang when we were younger....Go to sleep my little piccaninny.....I can't remember how it goes....maybe she can tell! She is a lioness when it comes to her children! She will guard yours with her life!

Cathy

mom said...

I was laughing soooo hard when I read this. You know I would have done anything to protect you. You actually protected me when I ran out the door after the guy and he thought I was sooo crazy that he ran away. You were the one with emough sense to pull me back in the door. lol