My kids were so cute today for church. Maryn wore this super adorable polka dot dress and she even let me put a barrette in her hair. Josiah joined a new classroom because he's getting around so well. We were all so excited to get back to church. We have joined a new class and we're really enjoying it. I really want to be friends with everyone in the class but without being creepy, you know what I mean? I feel like I'm dating again or something. Is it too soon to ask them over for dinner? Would it be better to meet up for lunch somewhere? Or maybe just have a play date at the park? What if our kids hate each other?
One thing about making new friends with little kids is parenting strategies. Just writing about it makes me want to shoot myself in the foot. Not really. Sort of. Like, for instance, say one parent spanks their kid for doing something and then your kid does the same thing but you don't want to spank for that, even though their child was just disciplined for the same thing. Well, then I feel weird about that. What am I supposed to do? It's awkward.
Or say for instance someone comments on the way your child says this or does that, like, if Maryn just says something rude to me and I ignore it but our friend comments, "Wow, that wasn't very nice, Maryn." Then that's just awkward, right?
Sometimes I wish I just didn't have any friends. Or that I just had family, best friends and acquaintances. Acquaintances aren't close enough to say much. And family and best friends, if they say too much I can just tell them exactly what I'm thinking or feeling. But just plain friends. Those are tough relationships. And kids make it really complicated.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lol. You think too much! I pretty much mind my own children unless a kid does something to my kids and their parents sit there. Then I'll correct the child. If their parents don't want to be my friend for that, oh well. Really, most of our friends don't have kids yet or have older kids so we don have that problem. Friends with middle school kids are great because they entertain your kids while you have grown-up time.
Yesterday in church this little girl came and sat with us. She is 5 too, but wants nothing to do with Evelyn. However, she attempts to mother Rikey and Gigi, and they HATE it. So I finally told her to leave them alone!
Just remember that nobody is perfect, including that person who is questioning your way of parenting. Just do what you feel is right for your little family and don't feel like you have to defend yourself for it.
Aunt Cheryl
I think the teacher in me comes out whenever there are kids around and they are doing something I feel is not right. I don't come right out and discipline someone child, but I ask them....Should you be doing that? Is that the right thing you should be doing right now? I don't think I would do that. Do you think your mommy would want you to do that? By this time they are getting tired of my questions and move on to something else. :o)
Cathy
Post a Comment