
Today we visited the Mateo family. Samantha, the only girl of the family, was in my class in 2006-2007, and we took her and her brother, Angel to Disney World a couple summers ago, because Angel was the only other sibling I knew. Now we know all of them. The twins are growing so fast. The last time we visited with Bethany, Todd, and Blake the twins couldn't speak English and one of them was running around in his underwear. Now they are talking and reading in very good English and were very well dressed, thank goodness! They're in first grade and I am SO jealous I'm not there to be their teacher. These kids are so bright. The little boy above, Pedro, beat me three times in Tic-Tac-Toe. And I was trying. He knows all the Tic-Tac-Toe tricks.
They just loved Maryn.
And Elvia (Mrs. Mateo) gave us a giant bag of green peppers! Woohoo! We left some sidewalk chalk, bubbles and a frisbee for them to play with. Next time maybe some of you can join us for a trip out there to see them and maybe we can bring them some more things they might need. This family has a heartbreaking story but are such hard workers. They are overcoming the odds, that's for sure! Keep them in your prayers!


5 comments:
What a great time for you and that family! It really makes you stop and think about how we take soooo many things for granted and don't appreciate all the nice things we have. There are so many kids in my class I just want to bring home and even just give them a bath and some clothes that fit and shoes that their toes aren't hanging out of. We have two brothers in our afternoon class right now that have shoes like that and their feet are soaked each day from the rain and snow when they get to school, so we keep slipper socks for each of them to wear while in school. We have tried putting different shoes on them, but it always seems like they never wear them back to school again....so we just change them into dry socks every day.
I am so glad you, John and Maryn took time out of your day to visit and have a good time with this family! Keep up the good work!
Cathy
Wow! I can't wait to hear more about this family when we come over for the cookie exchange. How cool that you're still in touch with them.
You can be jealous of me Amanda, because I have Pedro this year! He is an awesome student and you are right -- soooo smart. I have so much respect for Mrs. Mateo. She does a fabulous job against the odds. I've been keeping track of you on your blog from time to time. Your little Maryn is beautiful! Love to you.
Joanne
That's awesome.
Totally unrelated question:
Is your hair long?
It's about to my shoulders. But I was hoping to get it cut Saturday...
Post a Comment