Saturday, December 20, 2008

The trap of self-pity

Have you ever felt that God was trying to teach you something? First, the lesson begins as a faint whisper, then it begins to repeat, and then it shouts. Until you can ignore it no longer.

I have revisited this topic several times, and it's one I feel strongly about. Because I fall into it myself so often, and I am annoyed when I see it in others as well. It's the trap of self-pity, which is ultimately a sin of pride, selfishness, ungratefulness.

It all began this past Tuesday with an episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8, of course. Now that the Gosselins have quite a bit of money now, considering the 8 kids and all, they decided to give this Christmas instead of just receive. They are passionate about raising money for kids with cancer, and decided to donate gifts and more to Saint Jude's. I didn't realize how amazing St. Jude's really is. Everything is paid for. A child is never turned down. All cancer patients receive treatment, and the parents never even have the stress of seeing a bill or a co-pay. It costs 1.3 million dollars just to run the hospital for ONE day.

Kate decided to give to this cause because she's so grateful that all eight of her children are healthy. One expression she said really sticks with me, "I'm eight for eight." 100% of her kids are healthy. That's something to be grateful for. When some people in her situation could be feeling sorry for themselves.

But some of these children with cancer could be feeling sorry for themselves, and so could their parents. Surprisingly, most are not.

I have been confronted with many other instances where people, by the world's standards, should feel pretty sorry for themselves. But they don't. The people living in the poorest neighborhoods seem to be the most likely to help others. Why is that? Why aren't I more helpful? Why am I not satisfied with my circumstances at times?

I have been reminded of so many instances in the Bible just this week where self-pity is not tolerated. Jesus was not a man to pity anyone. God is not a god of self-pity. Sure, He's our Comforter, our Great Physician, but He's going to tell you, "Take up your mat and walk," not "You poor thing! I will sit here and listen to you whine for four hours about your terrible life!"

Just read almost any Bible story. Elijah, Elijah and the widow, Jesus healing the blind man, Ezekiel, Hosea, Moses, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Rahab, Hagar, Esau. God would almost always say things like, "GO!" Not, "OK, let's just sit here and cry for a while." All right, so I don't think God ever encouraged anyone to sit around and be depressed.

4 comments:

bcl said...

True Amanda. Thanks for the encouragement. Have you ever noticed though that it's always the same people singing up there? I have been a little forward about letting them know I want to sing before and I was asked to sing soon after, but if I don't say anything I'm not asked. It just gets kind of frustrating sometimes to always have to ask to sing instead of just being asked, you know? I'm not trying to complain here because I'm grateful for the times I am asked but I just wish it happened more often.

It is true though, there are many very talented singers who always want to sing and I guess I'm towards the bottom of the list compared to amazing singers like Lindsey and Rissa.

Anonymous said...

Lately this past year I have been struck with the absurd amount of material THINGS we all have. Also there hasn't been a day that's gone by in the last year, probably, that I haven't sat quietly, and admitted how very grateful I am for every little thing that I have. I don't have lots and lots of new, fancy, gotta rush out and get things....actually most of my furniture and things are hand-me downs and casts offs from family and friends...but I really love the things that I have and I walk around my house quite often and wish that my mom could have had even half of the things I have (used or not)!
I appreciate and am grateful for the fact that I was blessed with my boys and Kent and that we are all fairly healthy.
I cry many times and am deeply saddened with the lives that some of my students have. It doesn't matter how many times I wash a kid's face, hands, ears and necks when they come to school all dirty, or how many pairs of shoes I buy them because their toes are hanging out of their shoes walking through the snow, or how many pairs of mittens or hats you can give them and you never see them wear again, or how many shirts you take in to replace one they have started wearing inside out because they have had it on all week and it has ketchup on the front, it really doesn't matter, because you just keep giving and helping these little souls who need it so desparately and even though there is SO MUCH MORE I should do....I have to believe that I am helping at least one of these children just by showing them a little kindness and compassion...maybe when they are older, they will pay it forward and little by little we will reach more and more people!
Think positive...EVERY little things you do for someone...COUNTS.
It could be just your smile that makes someone's life a little brighter for that one second...it is all worth it!
Sorry...I got a little lengthy there!
Merry Christmas Every and remember to give this year...even if it is only a smile!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Oops..meant Merry Christmas EVERYONE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks:)