Thursday, September 11, 2003

Life is funny. My moods alter with the books I read and right now I feel sad. I think it's because for some odd reason, I identified with the guy in the book I just finished ten minutes ago and he was sad, so now I'm sad because I can't just be all happy when someone else is sad, you know? That would be insensitive.

Older people are always saying how bad things are now. The truth is, they aren't oblivious, young idiots anymore, so they see things as being "bad" and remember the "good ol' days," But, back in the "good ol' days," they were young and oblivious... There's always been war, terrorism, adultery, murder... I won't be able to tell my kids that "Back in the good ol' days I used to walk to school with my lunch in a metal basket and it was 3 miles uphill both ways and Emmilou Nelson was my bestest friend in the world and we'd always chase little Bobby Tucker around and try to kiss him..."

But you know, instead I'll be able to say, "Back in the good ol' days, I used to walk to school in my little dresses and white tights with my Teddy Ruxpin lunch box and I'd meet my bestest friend in the world, Staci, at the mail box at the end of Fair Street and little Ben Gadfield and Jordan Fausel would chase us around during indoor recess...we weren't allowed to run, so we just slid around on the floor on our hands and knees and I'd tear holes in those white tights, but my mom never got mad."

And then I'll continue, I'm sure, because I'll be a very dorky, out of touch grandma, and I'll say, "And now there's murderers and child molestors livin' next door and all these kids are on drugs and having sex in the streets..." The same things people say this very day. Humankind. How silly we are.

No comments: