I went to church today, and there was an empty spot, because this man died... He was a pretty important man. In fact, half of the church was related to him somehow, whether his granchild, son, or daughter-in-law. Anyway, he sat in the same seat every day with his wife next to him. He'd invite everyone to Sunday school over and over again and he'd always invite his little granddaughter up to the microphone to recite the memory verse. She always knew it--she's probably one of the few who take the time to remember it :) He'd always say the verse in church when we prayed about "Lifting your hands in the sanctuary." And he would. And he'd put his arm around his wife, still, even though you know, they were both pretty old. She was always happy. He was always happy. They loved God and each other and their family SO much. And you know, she was still happy today, and she still "lifted her hands in the sanctuary." And she sat in his old sat and a friend sat beside her...
It's sort of uplifting in an odd way, but sad because you know, you begin to lose faith in love after a while, but couples like that help to restore it--and now, he's gone. Life is so fleeting, and love is so important, but everything here is just temporary (even marriage), and God is most important. We live for God, not to find the perfect mate or try to be the perfect person, or to make a million gazillion friends. We just live for God, and if we're really blessed, we'll find really special people, like Jim and Iris Henderson, to share it with.
I hope that I can be that blessed, and I wish everyone could be that blessed, but it's even better that I have something that's completely everlasting and trustworthy...and His moods never change even when I'm being crazy or stupid, and His love never wavers and He never changes at all and there's absolutely nothing I could do to make Him love me more or less, a perfect Friend...I'm really thankful for that. I can look more forward to Heaven than anything else because it's going to be so very awesome.
Sunday, September 07, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment