The Notes She Wrote in Sociology of the Family Today, 2:00-3:15
It's been a strange week. Kalyn asked me today if the week had flown by for me like it did for her. I thought about that for a moment. Hmm...it is already Thursday. Where have I been? I've sorta been in la-la land this week. You know how it is, I bet. It's been one of those weeks where I feel like I'm watching a movie...where I don't really want to interact with the actors, and I'm so caught up in my own thoughts that I don't interact or understand all that's going on around me. I've felt distant. I go through this a lot, but this time I tried to make it different, because I didn't want to close myself off from people. Usually I'd stop talking for a few days, shut myself in my room a lot, and take a little "break" from everything. Instead of doing that, I've made an effort to talk about what I'm thinking about, hang out with people, and all that. That went well, but when so many things bog up my mind, my intuition, compassion, and understanding get clouded. So I haven't been very "on top" of things lately. One may call it self-absorbed.
"So we're watching this movie called "Peggy Sue Got Married." It's an eighties movie with Nicolas Cage, some lady I don't know, and Helen Hunt in her teens. Strange huh? Instead of summarizing the movie, I'll try to be brief. This girl married a guy right out of high school and basically ruined his life. It kind of ruined her life too, but mostly his. He didn't pursue his dream of being a singer like he had set his heart on. Then she had a chance to go back in time. She had the chance to not marry him, experience other things (another guy) and so on. But the other two guys she "noticed" (that she never noticed before), had dreams, too. So in other words, no matter who she married, she'd screw up his life. This is disturbing. I don't want some guy to marry me and resent me later because I ruined his dreams. Of course it wouldn't be all my fault, but you know. And I don't want some guy to ruin my dreams. I don't want to think "sure I'd love to be a doctor's wife..." just because he wants to be a doctor, or whatever. Maybe that's why it's smart not to marry until you have your own life figured out. Sometimes we rush into things. I thought five years ago that I'd be engaged (or at least have a serious boyfriend) by now. Thank goodness I'm not!!! Goodness, so many doors have opened that I would never have seen if I were bogged down with a significant other. But then one day I know he'll come, and it will be in GOD'S timing, not mine, and everything will work out. Because impatience is not cool, and we can't assume we know what's best for us, because we never do!"
And those are my thoughts on that.
Thursday, November 14, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment