I just read this article about a daughter's last month at home with her mother, stepfather, and younger sister before she went off to college. We girls probably all remember that month--where practically everything they said got on our nerves and every time they tried to get close, we would pull away. And everytime they'd say "I'm going to miss you," we would roll our eyes and sigh. It made me miss my mom a lot. In fact, it made me cry quite a bit...
So here's a poem for my mother. (It's kind of cheesy, but it's for her, and she'll like it, and that's all that matters!)
I wish I were eating dinner with her or talking over hot tea,
With 2 packs of Sweet-n-Low for her, and cappucino for me.
I wish she were standing in the middle of the kitchen floor,
Watching me through the bathroom door.
"You've gotten taller (or skinnier or prettier)," she'd say,
And I would reply, "Mom, you told me that yesterday."
I wish we were out driving or shopping together.
She'd pick outfits for me--crazy things like lace or leather.
I would say, "I can't wear that, mom..." or "That won't fit."
And she'd reply, "Girl, if you got it, you better flaunt it."
We might talk about friends, gossip, and of course boyfriends.
I might whine about the last one, the new one, the future one...
She'd say, "Forget about him, get over it...and go have fun!"
Then she'd tell me her strategy with her fortune telling skills
As I'd roll my eyes and say she needs to be on some pills.
But moms, they know their stuff. My mom REALLY knows her stuff.
But really, when it comes to being with her, I can't get enough.
So here's to you mom, for my very own birthday,
I wanted you to know, so this I will say;
I know it's hard for you as I grow older...
But there's no better place in this world than to have my head on your shoulder.
November 4, 2002 I celebrate you, Mom...because well, you worked a lot harder than I did, you loved me more than anyone ever could, you protected me, you cared for me, you went above and beyond and became my friend. I love you.
Sunday, November 03, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment