This morning I sent Maryn and John to the grocery store with a list and Maryn had a "BINGO" card and stickers. She had to find all the numbers she could at Target and mark them with her stickers. Then after lunch, Maryn and John played this game I found here. We used a spinner with the numerals actually on it rather than dice because Maryn needs to learn her numbers. Although she was very good at counting and coloring the number she spun.
During Josiah's nap, we used the buttons Miss Beth gave us to get crafty:
Cute, super easy button ideas here.
Maryn loves school. I started looking at kindergarten and preschool curriculums again and I am just feeling very pessimistic about them all. I feel at this point all we really need is a math curriculum (preschool) or at least a guide, with ideas for stuff to do. She's way advanced right now in reading (letters, sounds) so purchasing or trying to follow a preschool program would be kind of pointless. I need a good scope and sequence, or something like that...to keep us motivated and on track. Also some social studies and science would be great too. Right now we do so many random things, whenever we feel like it. But next I do believe we will study the northern states, Canada, and animals that live in colder climates.
If you have any ideas of books that would give me some basic guidance, let me know.
Right now we're watching 101 Dalmations and she is scared out of her mind. :) It may be a long night.
Friday, December 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go Maryn!! Fun ideas! I wish I did more "school," but, um, I don't. However, yesterday Hope randomly splled 1/2 of her last name and I was impressed. HA HA!!! I don't have any idea if Hope is advanced, on target or not, what types of things is Maryn able to do? Maybe that will help me.
You know, I started way early with Titus and it ended up back firing on us a bit. He got to a point where it did get hard for him-like teaching him to read in pre-k-ha! but I felt like I had to keep going since we started-first kid:). Rod and Staff has a super sweet and gentle pre-k "work book" packet that we have loved for a couple of the kids. It is like $20 for 7 books. It might seem easy but it is really very encouraging at this age. Hope you find something you love- we do love sonlight when you think about doing something big:)
Erin, I think at this point play is more important and I know you play with Hope and you talk to her a lot, and from what I've heard of Hope it seems like she is more than fine!
I'm definitely holding off on reading and all that jazz. She just wants to do "school" and read books and do activities and I'm bored with all the same stuff. I've used up all my good ideas, and since she is already on top of her letters and letter sounds, I would like to do more of the things she isn't great at, but still enjoys. You know, like doing dot to dots and mazes rather than coloring 8 sheets of coloring book pages a day!
And instead of reading and "learning" about farm animals every. single. day. maybe looking for books at the library about animals in winter or animals that live up north or in the poles. Which I already do have some reserved :) And I would like to read and do some of the Jan Brett activities we did in first grade with The Mitten and The Hat, such fun books!
I just got an idea off a website to just take a picture out of a magazine or old book or coloring page and cut it apart to make a puzzle for your kids. Those are the kinds of math ideas I need. Maryn is crazy about puzzles, seek and finds, mazes, dot to dots, etc...so why not encourage it?
Anyway, when she is ready for kindergarten I don't know what curriculum we will pick. I don't think SonLight is for me, but it looks great! I need something really super basic--a general outline or curriculum, plus a seriously detailed and lots of help in MATH! Well maybe not in kindergarten, but as soon as she hits first grade, we're going to need some help there!
Post a Comment