Monday, December 19, 2011

Elf on the Shelf

Surely by now you have heard about this little creature.  It seems like a fun idea, but I know a few people who have maybe taken it to a whole new level.  Read this blog post:  Overachieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies.  I'm not trying to judge stay at home moms, because I am one myself, but I thought surely this was more of a SAHM thing.  Since we have loads of time on our hands.  Not true, I know!  But lo and behold, I do know a few full time working mamas who are doing this.  And they're not just moving the Elf around, making little notes, etc.  The elves are wrapping up all their picture frames and hanging them back on the walls.  They are having marshmallow fights in the kitchen.  They are decorating the Christmas tree with toilet paper.  They are making enormous, delicious breakfasts before school.  Wowzers.

I don't have anything against elves.  And I believe that as long as you preach Jesus all year, a little Santa isn't going to take the Christ out of Christmas.  I even abbreviate Christmas as Xmas on my phone while texting sometimes.  ;-)

It really does all boil down to priorities.  That and thinking like a child for a minute.  What would you rather do when you were five?  Discover that creepy little elf had covered your Christmas tree in toilet paper, or do a fun craft with Mommy?  Or read a book with a Mommy?  Or watch Mommy pick all the TP off the tree?  A little magic in Christmas is fun.  Sure.  We leave the cookies nibbled from Santa, and we even give the reindeer special reindeer treats.  Some people don't, and that's okay too.

But this Elf on the Shelf business (the really over the top ones) I don't really understand.  I think your time could be better spent.  But maybe my time could be better spent too sometimes.  Ah, to each his own I guess.  What do you think?  Are you for the Elf or no?

 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I've only heard about it this year and wow, those ideas are crazy. We aren't for it, primarily because we aren't doing Santa either. But even if we were, I'd have to draw the line at the elf. Too many other fun and meaningful things to do during the season, in my opinion!