Monday, February 14, 2011

The Sick Files

Maryn is so cute when she's sick.

Last night, I couldn't sleep so far away from her.  She kept waking up and I'd have to keep go checking on her, so I gave in around 10:00 and pulled our big couch cushion into her room and slept next to her bed.  With that vaporizer and the sound machine going, I had the best 2 hours of sleep I've had in a very long time.  Josiah woke up at 12 to nurse, and Maryn woke up as soon as nursing was over.  Screaming, burning up, coughing.  She wouldn't take any medicine.  I was trying to get her to take it (big mistake) when she started throwing up every where.  "Mommy, hold me!"  So I held her as she vomited over my shoulder, while Josiah laid on her bed being his normal happy self.  "Mommy, medicine please!"  ***barf, barf***  "Mommy, medicine please!"  ***barf,  barf***  So she was pleading for medicine in between her vomiting.  I called for John and he took her to bed with him, while I cleaned up the mess and got Josiah to bed.  I spent the rest of the night sleeping on the couch.  Aside from nursing Josiah again at 2 (or was it 3?)...and he ended up crashing with me on the couch until 6 (or was it 7?).  And then we all slept until 9. 

So today, I was laying with Maryn on the couch watching Toy Story 3 and she was starting to get a pretty high fever and I asked if she wanted some medicine.  She said, "No, I'm feeling better, Mommy."  And she laboriously picked up her head and smiled at me--the fakest, but sweetest smile I've ever seen from her. 

We've watched a lot of Caillou, Toy Story, and Santa Clause 2.  We've been playing lots of games and puzzles.  She's gotten quite good at Candyland..  And Josiah is loving to read (eat) books with us.  I think Brown Bear, Brown Bear might be his favorite.  

I haven't gotten Maryn to eat much at all for the last few days, but she is drinking Pedialyte pretty well, some juice, some water and some milk.  She's eaten a little bit of toast, noodles, and cheese.  Not the best thing for being sick, but at this point I'm letting her have whatever she'll take.  She's already lost a pound or two since she's been sick.  Which is not good since she's already a skinny minnie.  At our WIC appointment last week the nutritionist told us she's in the lower 10th percentile in weight, and above average height for her age.  Which she said isn't a bad thing.  But she does normally eat, eat, eat all day.  She's a little John.  :)

 Doesn't Josiah look so long?!  He is.  He's actually thinning out a bit, too.
He hasn't had almost ANY formula in a few weeks.  I think it's helping him
become a little leaner. But as you can see, he's still healthy.  :)

 Here's my sick girl this morning, watching Toy Story 3...mouth hanging open.  :)
We couldn't get in to the doctor today, but we have an appointment tomorrow.  Let's hope it goes well and we get some answers.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Awe, Amanda...I'm sorry she is so sick! We were passing a stomach virus around last week. Jeremy and Nicole were both throwing up on the same day. They laid in bed together most of the day. Then, I got it on Friday.

Nicole had a really high fever a few weeks ago, and it was strep throat. Did the doctor test her for that? Often there can be vomiting from strep too...and eating and drinking doesn't feel good either. Strep would need an antibiotic too. That was the first thing I thought about when I heard about her fevers. I know, I know....you wrote this post hoping for unqualified doctors to diagnose your family, right? Yeah, I knew you did ;)

I hope she feels better soon though! And, you are right, they are extra sweet when they are sick. I wish I could come spend some time with you right now!