Tonight, Josiah and I had a midnight talk. He had some trouble staying asleep because of a raspy cough, so he and I were sitting together after trying to lay down three times. I just didn’t have the heart to let him cry with all that painful coughing going on, so I was trying to soothe him once again, when he looked up at me, and said,
“Hehh, Hehh!” with a little grin.
“What?” I replied.
“Hehh, Hehh!”
To which I responded with kisses, Eskimo kisses, tickles, and smiles. I tried to be quiet and just listen. I want to be a better listener. He just talked or sang away, smiling, laughing. He smoothed down my hair, pulled me towards him for more kisses, grabbed my face—just smiling and giggling without a care in the world.
He told me about his favorite sports teams, his hopes for the future, the girl he likes, his best friends.
Some day maybe I’ll be a good enough listener. Maybe I’ll be sitting next to him close to midnight as he tells me about the girl he thinks is the one. Or the best friend who he thinks needs prayer. Maybe he’ll tell me some football statistics, or mathematical equations, or systematic theology, or maybe he’ll play me a song on his guitar. Whatever he does, and whoever he grows up to be, there is one thing I know. I will love him, and I hope he knows I am here to listen. And I will love him, whatever he has to say, and whatever he does.
Josiah has such a flirty personality. He is always trying to win me over. He captures my gaze, smiles, and woos me. I hope he learns that he doesn't need to win my affection. He had me from the beginning.
2 comments:
He is a major little flirt :o) Good luck when he grows up!
Cathy
I am missing pics and posts!
Just saying... :o)
Cathy
Post a Comment