Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Wake Up Call

You all know that I was sick (and I still am a little sick).  Well the other day, I was blowing my nose for the 60th time, and I thought, "Sheesh, this is like taking care of a whole other person!"

And then I realized, I AM a whole other person.  I need to take better care of myself. 

I have also been watching this show, Ruby.  It's a reality show about a woman who weighed something like 475 pounds.  So far she has lost 90 lbs.  The other day, she walked a mile.  Imagine...that's like me walking a mile while carrying around nearly 300 lbs.  If Ruby can do that, I can workout 15 minutes per day. 

She has been put on a seriously strict diet with pre-made meals.  But she has her teenage nephew living with her, and he wanted to go through the drive-thru at Bojangles, her favorite fast food restaurant.  She struggled with wanting to get her favorite sandwich, but she resisted.  I know from seeing what she is allowed to eat that she has to be starving, but she resisted.  If Ruby can do that, I can certainly resist eating 16 cookies in one day. 

I know Ruby would love to be my size, and she probably has no idea that she could inspire someone like me to be a little more self-controlled.  But she does! 

3 comments:

Kendra_Kendle said...

I had a very similar experience after Riley. That's why I do all the things I do that you probably think are crazy. I just realized to be the best mom I could I had to be in the best shape: spiritually, physically, emotionally. Sometimes it can be a selfless thing to seem a little selfish. :)

Anonymous said...

You should write to her or go to the website for that tv show and let her know how she is affecting you! Bet it would give her more strength to know she is influencing others!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

That is why I didn't make any Christmas cookies and junk. Did not want it here to eat 16 cookies in a day! LOL

Cathy