Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Breakdown of Baby Snacks

I have been writing this post in my head for the last couple days. I am going to try to find some coupon deals and sales, too. Please comment and let everyone here know what you think of these snacks or suggest others.

We haven't tried a lot of the Gerber snacks because they're a little pricey and Maryn is really happy with graham crackers and Cheerios right now. But if you've tried some of the Gerber Graduates stuff (yogurt melts, those fruit roll up things) please let me know what you thought of them! That way I know if they'll be worth the money or not. Cuz as you will see here, some of these snacks really aren't worth it. I hope this post might save some people some money and from some messes....

Graham Crackers *****5 Mommy Stars***** JJJJJ5 Maryn SmilesJJJJJ

Travel Ease and Messiness Factor: These are super easy to travel with, keep a baby busy for a while, and the crumbs can’t really hurt anyone. They don’t usually make a mushy mess like some baby snacks. They can be easily broken in a diaper bag but not so much that it’ll ruin your day…plus, if any crackers get absolutely crushed, at least they were cheap.

Cost: CHEAP! Loving it! These often go BOGO at Publix (don’t know about Kroger yet), and Kroger has a super cheap version, so stock up on coupons if you can and go at it.

American Cheese or Shredded Cheese ***3 Mommy Stars*** JJJJJ5 Maryn SmilesJJJJJ

Travel Ease and Messiness Factor: Obviously, cheese just isn’t something I would take on a trip. Anywhere. This is the only reason I’m giving it three stars. And it can be a little pricey.

Cost: Eh. When you’re child is a human garbage disposal like mine, it can be costly.

I like cheese because Maryn loves it and it keeps her busy while I finish making the pizza or whatever else I’m making with shredded cheese. Most stores have a store brand that is significantly cheaper than Kraft, even with coupons. Plus it’s a good snack all kids of all ages love (including me).

Cheerios *****5 Mommy Stars***** JJJJJ5 Maryn SmilesJJJJJ

Travel Ease and Messiness Factor: What mess? These are my life saver lately. And I’m pretty sure this is how the nursery workers at church entertain Maryn. High chair + Cheerios=Happy Baby

Cost: Awesome. Especially with coupons and sales. These things are always on sale and a box lasts forever.

These are healthier than a lot of other snacks, and can keep a kid busy for a while. They take longer to chew or dissolve than “Puffs” and are basically the best thing ever invented.

Gerber Graduates Puffs ****4 Mommy Stars**** JJJJJ5 Maryn SmilesJJJJJ

Travel Ease and Messiness: Puffs were a lifesaver for me on car and plane trips before Maryn was able to eat Cheerios, but now that she’s almost one, they just melt so quickly in her mouth that she can’t shove them in her mouth fast enough. They don’t make a big mess in the car. We always kept a container of Puffs in the car, in her diaper bag, in the house…everywhere! But now she and I both love Cheerios more.

Cost: Yikes. Target has an off brand and you may be better off trying some puffed cereal. Check your organic cereal section for a puffed rice type of thing. It’ll still be cheaper than buying Puffs, and is probably healthier. Target also has coupons for Puffs all the time, as well as the Publix Baby Club (make sure you join the Publix baby club if you live anywhere near a Publix. You can join online and it’s free. If you’re adopting/have adopted, too!).

Beech Nut Let’s Grow Yogurt Nibbles ***3 Mommy Stars*** JJJ3 Maryn SmilesJJJ

Travel Ease and Messiness: These are about as easy as Cheerios or Puffs but the packages are small and expensive, so as I feed these things to Maryn I constantly think about how much they cost. Not something I want to worry about on trips.

Cost: Yikes again. But these OFTEN go on sale in stores and we ALWAYS find BOGO coupons. So it does work out to be a pretty sweet deal (we paid about $2.00 for 2 bags last week). This was our first time buying them, and I don’t think we’ll be shelling out even $2 for them because Maryn liked them, but she’d pretty much rather have anything else. They are worth a shot to change things up a bit, I think.

Beech Nut Let’s Grow Cookies Banana Flavor *1 Mommy Star* J1 Maryn SmilesJ

Travel Ease and Messiness: Ugh. These make a huge mess. They turn to mush in babies’ mouths, and the mush gets all over their hands and all over everything else. Clothes, carpet, walls…everything gets mushy. Unless you enjoy throwing your car seat cover in the washer, do not travel with these things.

Cost: Yikes. But these are the same type of deal as the Yogurt Nibbles—always on sale, always have BOGO coupons.

Maryn doesn’t like these at all. Today she threw them on the floor in protest and ate peas instead. I suppose they were made to be sucked on, but Maryn wants to bite, so she bites it and ends up with this huge cookie in her mouth. They are really thick! I do not recommend these.

Hot Kid Baby Mum Mum Rice Rusks****4 Mommy Stars**** JJJJJ5 Maryn SmilesJJJJJ

These are amazing, right up there with Cheerios. The only reason I gave them four stars is because they are very expensive and the packages don’t come with many in them…and the packaging is really strange…and they get crushed easily. Also, they dissolve pretty quickly in babies’ mouths, so they go too quickly for Maryn now at 12 months. Graham crackers are a better option for her right now. One thing I liked is that they’re rice rusks and not too filling. So she could eat four of them and not ruin her lunch when our flight got canceled and I had to stand in line for an hour. But anyway…

Traveling Ease and Messiness: These were a huge lifesaver, and a must for all moms traveling far with a baby over 6 months. Mum Mums take a 6-8 month old a while to eat, and they love them, and they make virtually zero mess. The only problem is that they crush and can be completely destroyed quite easily, so if they’re in a diaper bag or carry on, I suggest storing them in a plastic container.

Cost: Whew! Pricey! Never on sale and never a coupon, that I can find. And they’re usually only in stores like Whole Foods or stores with really good organic sections. So while they’re great for travel, if your baby drops one on the airport floor, YOU WILL pick it up and give it right back to her! Not that I speak from experience or anything…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 or 5 second rule??? You pick...either one won't kill her. Heck my boys used the 3 or 5 MINUTE rule! LOL

Cathy

Jennifer said...

I saw a mom have a ziploc that had some cold pasta (penne or spirals) in it, she would cook left over and put some butter on it and then she would put it in a ziploc and use it as a snack the next day? Could be a cheap snack? There is also this great salt like spice called Crazy Janes, it is a natural spice and makes any noodle taste wonderful!

Jen

Anonymous said...

Amanda, please don't take snack ideas from Cathy's boys. Those two will eat anything. And I do mean ANYTHING!
cHERYL

mom said...

I think you should submit your article to parents magazine. you could freelance for them.

roxann said...

AMANDA, Your mom just had a great suggestion!! You SHOULD submit your posts, freelance, FOR MONEY!

kendra said...

I love the gerber yogurt melts. They have live cultures which is the only thing that cured Gigi's diaper rash. Traveled with them this weekend. Gigi loves them too.

Anonymous said...

Teddy never cared for the yogurt melts but liked their dried fruits. The fruit roll things I think are for older kids so be careful. Did you mention goldfish?

Hope all is well!!

Elizabeth

John said...

Cathy and Cheryl, yes I do remember Drew eating dog food. He loved it!

Jennifer: Wow, that is a good idea. I never thought of that. Although we did take mac and cheese to the seminary lawn the other day while John played some frisbee!

Mom and Roxann: I have tried that before and those jobs are just about impossible to get.

Kendra and Elizabeth: Thanks for those suggestions! I was hoping someone would tell me more about the yogurt melts and dried fruit stuff. Maybe I'll use my Target coupons for those.

John said...

-That was me, Amanda.