Saturday, August 18, 2007

My computer is retarded.

Sorry I haven't written lately, but there really hasn't been much news. Still the same old stuff: Getting my classroom ready. I went over there for four hours today, which was just about meaningless. I feel like I'm not getting that much done. However, all I really need to do is clean up, make nametags and labels and do a little walk through of my day to work out the kinks. They give us five paid 7.5 hour work days to do all this work, and I've worked ten days in a row, some far more than 7.5 hours. I wonder what HIGH SCHOOL teachers did this week. I'm rethinking my choices...

I think I'll change my mind when I see my 17 first graders cute, eager little faces. I love school.

John's sick today. His whole body is really sore for no apparent reason, so I told him to take a hot bath. He hasn't taken a bath in over 15 years. He looks really funny in a bath tub.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope your class is a great one this year! I just found out that they are going to stagger start our preschoolers this year like the kindergarten. They want us to do the AEPS testing and Get It, Got It, Go tests all right at the beginning. The first week of preschool, we will only have 4 kids each day each in the AM and PM, so that will cover our 24 kids total and we can get all their testing done right away. I think it is going to be much better and we will be able to assess them much closer than we can when they are all there and you try to fit each little thing into your daily routine. There are sooooooo many checklists of things with the AEPS tests for each range level of the kids. It should be interesting though!!!!!
Hope you have a GREAT year! Let me know if you are going to be doing a leaf theme at all and when the leaves fall, I will send you a HUGE box. If you give me the address to your school I can just send it there!
Happy Teaching!!!!
Cat

Alison said...

Speaking as a high school teacher, I can tell you that so far this week I've gone in one day (though I'll be back again today) for 6 hours, but I got NOTHING done in my classroom. I'm teaching two new courses this year, so I was trying to find materials for most of that time. Hopefully today will be more productive, at least when it comes to decorating.

I'm probably an atypical high school teacher, but I do bulletin boards for every course (four this year)... and they're not on corkboard- they're fake, as in, I section off parts of the room and call them the British Lit board or the College Writing board. Anyway, I do the letters and the posters and the student work, etc. Last year I even had a word wall for A Christmas Carol- it was a Christmas tree and each branch had one of the vocab words- cute, huh? :)

I'm jealous of the five days to put your room together- we get an hour. No kidding. We have one day before kids come back and we have meetings in the morning and meetings in the afternoon, so if you haven't put your room together, you can use the 12-1 time between meetings. Yeesh.

Amanda said...

Alison, you are abnormal! Our district is kinda dumb, because they give HS teachers all the time we have, but even they say themselves that they don't need all that time. It's silly. I wish they'd just ask us all what we need.