Monday, August 06, 2007

Camp Blues

I was at camp last week from Tuesday until Saturday morning, and let me tell ya, it pretty much blew. I won't complain too much, because I'm not completely sure who might wander onto this site. Let me tell ya about the great things, though.

First, and most importantly, I was in a cabin with freshmen girls. Although we had to go through the pain of a few attitude adjustments, these girls were sweethearts and I love them. This year I might be teaching them every Saturday night, too, so I already got a head start in getting to know them. My patience didn't wear too thin at 3:30 am when they were begging me to help them play a prank on someone, either.

Next, my team (HONEY MUSTARD!) got second place. We were way awesome, and the only reason the Cotton Candy team won was because their color was pink and the guys had to cross dress in the fashion show.

Our youth pastor had some great teaching, and I got to know his wife, Stacie, a lot better. They are both close to our age, so that's pretty cool. They also went on the Peru trip, of course. I don't know what I would have done without Stacie's encouragement at camp.

Big problems arise at camp when adult leaders forget why they are there. Camp is ALL about the kids: their relationship with God and each other. At camp, a good leader will neglect his/her friendships, sleep, and materialism in order to make sure each camper has the best experience possible. I'm not trying to be like, "Oh, I'm the best counselor ever," but now that I'm home and have time to reflect on the experience, I am disgusted at the behavior of some leaders at this camp.

Ack.

No comments: