Monday, July 03, 2006

Am I blind?

So, I'm reading this book called Blue Like Jazz. Just about every evangelical Christian in the world is reading it as well. I'm on the sixth chapter and basically, it's a very honest Christian explaining his ideas and his faith and his thoughts on God. It's a train of thought book, which is my favorite type of book of book. I like it almost as much as phyllo dough.

The book gets a person thinking. I mean, it makes me think about my own ideas about God before and after "becoming a Christian." The people in the book really struggle with "becoming a Christian," probably because they're older (I mean, about my age), and they feel like they can't become a Christian because it's so irrational. Because everyone knows Christians are dumb, walking around with blind faith, giving money to the Republicans, letting a pastor tell them what to think and how to feel.

I guess I never saw Christianity that way before I was a Christian, and now that I am one (surrendered life to Jesus, believe He died for me...) I see Christianity that way more and more as I get older. Am I being brainwashed by the world? Brainwashed by my church?

I believe, and hope, that God intends to raise up a new type of Christian. More people like this Don guy who wrote this book, and the people in his story. We ought not to put our faith blindly into anything, or say we believe because we know "it's true in our hearts." Find some evidence, people! Do a little research.

Don't you think all Christians feel like they're trying to be David Copperfield when they're talking to a "non-believer" about Christ? Don't you think Christians all feel like complete morons when they try to explain how, yes, Noah's Ark could have really happened? But, to quote the book here, God makes about as much sense to me as I make sense to an ant.

No comments: