Thursday, June 22, 2006

by reason of insanity

Andrea Yates. Mothers killing their children.

Many, if not all, of these mothers who kill their children were diagnosed with severe mental disorders before their children's murders. Andrea Yates was one of those mothers diagnosed only with depression yet had attempted suicide numerous times. She fell into some serious religious fanaticism as well. By this time, I would say she is unable to make logical decisions, so I'm going to switch the whole decision-making process to her husband. He had his family living in a 350-square foot bus. He let her home school the children although she had always been reclusive and was still obviously suffering from depression.

Obviously, she was insane. Anyone who pre-meditates murder and kills a living creature, I think, must be at least a little bit insane. She should be locked up somewhere (institution or prison) for the rest of her life. Of course her family wants her to be in institutionalized.

About a year before the murders: "...she began to self mutilate and refused to feed her children because she felt they were eating too much. She thought there were video cameras in the ceilings and said that the characters on television were talking to her and the children. She told Rusty about the hallucinations, yet neither of them informed Andrea's psychiatrist, Dr. Starbranch. On July 20, Andrea put a knife to her neck and begged her husband to let her die."

Is this someone you'd leave home alone with five children all day, every day, alone?

When I hear about cases like this, I immediately think of the fathers of these children, the husbands of these wives. Andrea had five kids in eight years. She didn't have friends. She was living in a bus for most of those years until her family finally urged her retarded husband to buy a house. Doctors gave her meds but never observed any psychotic behaviors. But Mr. Yates observed these behaviors, and yet he let it all continue.

I think Andrea should be institutionalized and Rusty Yates should be in prison. "But not very much was known about mental illness five years ago," says the news. Hmmm.

3 comments:

Veronica315 said...

I agree. Most of the time they don't get to the rest of the story on the news, and just make it sound like some mother went crazy and killed her kids.
Especially if the mom is already under psychatric care, you would think they would at least be able to get her husband on child neglect or something. After it happened, I remember her husband was all about standing by her, but I think since then they have gotten a divorce and he said he just wants to put it all behind him. I'm not exactly sure how he is planning to do that, though. He is definitely a weird dude.

Amanda said...

Yes, I agree with both of you. I personally don't care if she is in prison or a mental hospital, and if anyone I know did that, no matter how much I love them, I imagine I wouldn't really care if you were in prison or a mental hospital. And yes, her husband is now remarried.

Anonymous said...

He will probably have more children and his wife will end up in a bus with them. People never learn. Have you ever seen him on the news. He loves the limelife.