I was standing outside of Gate 36, waiting for the call to begin boarding my plane to Cleveland, which had already been delayed. It was 3:50 in the afternoon--30 minutes before take-off. Just at a glance, I saw the ticker screen above my head change. Flight 470 to Cleveland. Canceled. Crap.
Many middle-aged people stood in line, furious, while young college students, traveling alone for the holidays, stood nearly in tears. Young couples with children stood by with bewildered looks on their faces. One man, a big man in his forties or so, cussed and cursed every person working for the airline. Most people took the 2 am flight.
So I weighed my options and decided to fly into Pittsburgh instead. The airline easily changed my ticket and my bags in order to fly to Pittsburgh. Then, JR called and asked if I could possibly fly into Columbus. So changed my ticket and my bags again.
I was disturbed by that man's behavior, so when I sat down to read this week's Newsweek, pictures of the recent earthquake in Pakistan had a more significant effect. One picture shows hundreds of men sitting on the ground. The caption states, "These men trekked for days in the mountains to get to a helipad in the Naran Valley, only to learn that supplies of tents and blankets had run out several days before. Now they wait for new shipments."
While we Americans freak out about our flights and arriving to see our families on time for the holidays, there are men separated from their cold, starving, unsheltered families because of a natural disaster. So when my flight is canceled because of snow, I am reminded to appreciate that I am warm, that I am fed, and that I am with my family.
Now my luggage is lost, probably somewhere in Pittsburgh. I don't have my super cute new outfit to wear for Thanksgiving or my makeup or my special gel to make my hair curly...and just when I start to feel sorry for myself, I remember--this is 2005. Katrina, Rita, Wilma, earthquakes, terrorist attacks, war, soldiers without needed supplies and gear. And I don't have my hair gel. How selfish.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you have been blessed with warmth, food, family, and friends. And if you're in Florida...air conditioning!
Thursday, November 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment