Thursday, August 12, 2004

Hi Charley!

Charley is my first ever experience with a hurricane. I hear it's going to be major. Some people, like my tutor (Maria, who is REALLY nice and I get to have her in my room for a whole half day!), who seems to think every house in the tri-county area is going to be wiped out, are freaking out. Most of the people are just like "Oh, it'll be nothin'."

People are boarding up their windows and lowering their storm shutters. We put everything that was by the pool IN the pool or in the sun porch. The sun porch was just installed and it is just about all acrylic, so I'm thinking that might get ruined. It's really funny to see the lawn furniture in the pool.

I don't think I'll be sleeping in the normal spot tonight considering it's in the corner with windows surrounding it.

School has been cancelled for Friday (tomorrow, which was supposed to be our team's planning day). So I um...don't have anything planned and I don't really know what to plan. But you know, I guess I do...first day stuff...how hard can it be, right?

My kids are so cute! Okay, so I haven't seen them yet. But I hear Adrian Martinez-Veda is a real sweetheart, along with Amy Montez. Guess how many of my students have the home language of English? Two. One has the first language of Creole, and the others are ALL ESL with a first language of Spanish. These are the Spanish words I know:

muoy (very)
grande (big)
picane (small)
adios (goodbye)
gracias (thank you)
hola (hello)
como te llamas? (what is your name)
comprende? (understand?)
no comprende (don't understand)
le lavamanos (sink)
le televisor (television)
le bane (bathroom)

I don't know if I spelled those right or if they are exactly right, but I can say them! It's okay though. The kids will be fine, it's just the parents I have to worry about, because pretty much it's pointless to send anything home, really...unless the kids are sweeties and translate for their parents (which some might). It's not even because the parents don't understand any English, it's because they're illiterate (many of them) because they are from somewhere in Mexico and didn't go to school, because they've been migrant farmers their whole lives.

I have three kids with the last name Martinez. I also have kids named Genaro, Antonio, Adrian, Hansy, Marycarmen, Jensel, and so on...

I hope I like them :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't get blown away down there. I'm sure your kids will just love you no matter what language they speak. Your smile will win them over. Looks like you have your work cut out for you with only two speaking English. Please send me your address. Talk to you later. Love Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I am getting a little tired of my sisters slamming my English and Spelling. I think I will post my comments to you directly by E-mail from now on. How do they think you became the English expert and Spelling wizard you are today? I think I might have had a little to do with that. Stick up for your mother and tell them to back off. LOL!!!!!! Stay safe!! MOM

Jeff of course said...

My Grandma lives in Ft. Myers, and we called her and all she said was "I hope this dies down, I want to go to the Outer Banks!" Haha. There was a hurricane and all could she think was, I want to go on vacation with my family. How cute!

Amanda said...

I know, I know. I'm famous now. Or an official dork for writing about Shakespeare :) Whatever! Oh, and mom, the subject of spelling isn't capitalized. English is capitalized, not spelling. :) Hehehe.