Thursday, March 04, 2004

I'm sorry a million times for not writing! But...it is through no fault of mine. Internet difficulties, for one thing, and the other day I wrote a really long entry and it got deleted somehow! Arrrgh! So, I'm playing it smart and saving things on Word first, before I publish it to here. So I guess I'll write a lot and you can pretend it's like, a week's worth.

Te Marae

We went to a Marae on Tuesday with all the "Team 2" classes (all the 5, 6, and 7 year olds). A Marae is a Maori meeting house, in case I haven't told you that before, and they have a Powhiri (welcome ceremony) for us this time. Except it was really, really lame and they didn't even have a kuia (an old lady to call us on to the Marae), and since they didn't have a kuia, it really confused us, which means we did things the wrong way...I don't know. It's all very political. The Marae was pretty cool, nevertheless, and I got to see some pictures of really old people (ancestors), some flax weaving things, bone carvings, wood carvings, and the whole lot. It was mostly pretty boring, but it's kinda interesting once I look back on it, now.

Te Marae Camp

Shwew. I just got back from an overnighter with 70 five and six year olds. It was really fun. I taught the kids how to play elbow tag and that clapping game where you say "Down by the banks..." They loved them both and wanted to play that stupid bullfrog game all stinkin' day. Geez. I didn't know it would be that popular. I think I lost my voice on the last "ding-dong" that I said. I actually did get to sleep at about 11 and slept pretty well. I was terrrrrrrified of getting lice (like at camp two years ago) because our beds were smashed all together with all these little kids and I KNOW one of the kids at least did have lice, and who knows if they got rid of it. I will die if I get it again. It's such a stinkin' pain!

The Cyclone

There was a cyclone last weekend! We got the tail end of it, which means it rained and rained and rained. That's all it's been doing here, really, but today and yesterday were super nice days, thank goodness. Finally. Anyway, the ocean was just treacherous. I have never seen anything like it and apparently no one else here has either. There were these "freak" waves that would come out of nowhere up to "six metres" or something just crazy like that, you know. And so my Idaho pals and I decided to go swimming on Sunday once the rain cleared up. It was insane. There were waves coming from the ocean (you know, the direction they're supposed to come from) and waves coming from the beach, too! It was so strange...and all these waves coming from ALL directions, huge ones, one right after the other. On Sunday, these two 31-year-old experienced surfers disappeared. And I know the fathers of both of the guys. Small country, you know. Anyway, I didn't die, and we didn't go out deep or anything...I didn't even get my hair wet. So no worries. I was all right.

The Japanese Student

There is a Japanese student staying with us right now. She's been here for about a week or so now. She's 14 or 15 years old and with the rest of her school. She's really cute and I think I'd really get along well with her if we could even slightly understand what the other is saying. So, our little flat here is very multicultural right now.

This Weekend

This weekend I'm going with Holly and some friends of hers from Montana to Tauranga and Mount Monganui. We're going to climb a mountain! I'm excited for some physical activity, but I am really sad I haven't gotten to have any REAL adventures rock climbing or backpacking or kayaking or skydiving...all the things I wanted to do. I still want to go skydiving but I'm not sure with my surgery scar still being a bit tender. Hmmm. What's the worst that could happen??? :) Don't answer that question!

HOME

On the 15th of March, there will only be 4 weeks (one month) left until I come home!!! I am soooo excited. Now understand that I am trying to enjoy it here while it lasts, but gosh almighty I miss home and, mom, I never, ever, want to live here, so don't worry! It's a nice place to visit, but I love America way too much now, more than I ever thought I could!! Why? Because we have orange cheese, good salad dressing, Campbell's Soup, Smucker's Jelly, cornbread muffins, Lucky Charms, graham crackers, biscuits and gravy, soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies and...

all of my wonderful friends and family members :)

I miss you guys and will love you even more than I already did (if that's possible) when I get home!

No comments: