Thursday, April 22, 2010

waiting

I have been thinking a lot about my insensitive post a while back about limiting child-bearing until certain milestones had been met, such as owning a home and acquiring degrees. I just wanted to expand on my thoughts since so many anonymous readers were so offended by my statement that they felt it necessary to attack our financial status, our life choices, and so on (those comments were not published. I deleted them because we don't need to thrive on discord).

"Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist. When your eyes light on it, it is gone, for suddenly it sprouts wings, flying like an eagle toward heaven." Proverbs 23:4-5

All of us at some point, myself definitely included, can be workaholics, but wealth is fleeting. All of us should know that these days! At some point, we must be discerning enough to desist and focus on the eternal rewards of life or the little things that do not bring monetary rewards. That may be having children. It may mean going on a marriage retreat or a second honeymoon. It could mean any number of activities that bring us no financial gain whatsoever.

The day I wrote that blog post, I had just spent a wonderful little morning and afternoon out with my daughter. We'd had a lovely little lunch date, only one temper tantrum or so, and even a minor poop issue. I sat at that table looking at my daughter's perfectly beautiful face, conversing with her about noodles, chicken and cheese, and wondered to myself...why wait so long?

I do know people who are waiting for very good reasons, or who are on some type of b.c. It may be because they're working on their marriage, they are in deep financial trouble, they've suffered too many miscarriages, etc. Some people I know are BRILLIANT and are called to be doctors, scientists, etc., and they feel it's necessary to wait. That's fine! I don't know your individual situation, and if you think God truly desires that for you, who am I to say otherwise? And why would you even listen to one of my dumb comments or waste time being offended?

If you were seriously offended by my post, I am deeply sorry. I believe that many who were offended do not entirely understand our situation or know me. We waited a few years before having children, and I do believe there is a time for waiting and a time for not waiting. I just want to seek the Lord in all that I do, and I hope you all can be encouraged by that somehow. Because God does care when and if you have children or not, and he does care about your finances. He cares about your education, your trip to Disney World, everything!

We must seek Him in ALL we do.

2 comments:

Kalyn said...

I'm so happy to be a MOM this Mother's Day!

Michele said...

I really don't think you have to apologize. If someone doesn't like what you say, they don't have to read your blog. Yes, it's public and they can read it...but no one is forcing them too. And it's ok if you have a different opinion than someone else. I just think it's stupid that people even wrote you mean things. It's not like you are a celebrity or a spokesperson for someone or something. You are a beautiful woman, a loving wife, a caring mother and a dear friend...and you like to write about your family and your thoughts on a blog, mostly for yourself (hence the title M.I.N.E) and for friends and family.

I'm just annoyed that people had to respond anonymously. It's ok to disagree and be known for it. It's stupid to do it but be too ashamed to put your name. AND...you have a right to moderate and delete any comments you want. You can delete this comment, and I promise my feelings won't be hurt.

There have been plenty of "hot topics" here that we, your readers, have been able to friendly debate with you or each other.