Monday, April 12, 2010
confession
I don't understand why some people wait so long to have children. Gotta get 3 degrees and own a house to have a kid? Please! It's retarded. That's right. I said it. Retarded!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
But it's not necessarily wrong to wait, is it? I just don't see it as a black or white issue either way....
I was actually hoping Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous would show his/her comments around here once again and what do you know!? He/she did! Too bad they didn't have the guts to write their name and only had the guts to slam me. If you have a problem with me, don't read my blog or at least have to guts to confront me as a mature human being!!!
No, I definitely don't think it's wrong to wait. And see, I'm so grateful Beth didn't write her comment anonymously because I know exactly where she's coming from! I just don't see why people have owning a home as a requirement. How many people in the last five years have lost their home and jobs anyway? I say planning is good, but when you make certain stipulations for having children like owning a home, you should be willing to at least be flexible. Just because someone owns a home doesn't mean they are ready to have children anyway. Why does it matter what material things you have? Shouldn't it depend more on your maturity, strength of marriage, stage of life, etc? And most importantly, what you think God wants? Yes, I know people who are in grad school living in near poverty--should they have kids? No, not necessarily, especially if they really do only want one or two children...or if this or if that, but waiting to own a home is silly. Maybe a person can say, "I'd like to own our own home before children." And that's a nice little goal, but it shouldn't be your reason for birth control. Everything can be stripped from you in a matter of weeks.
Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous (both of you), I am not posting your comments because they are hateful, hurtful to me and many of my readers, and I personally feel for certain now that you have some issues with me. Which is fine, but if you comment anonymously, how am I supposed to react?
I had a feeling that's where you were coming from, but I thought I'd throw out that question anyway. :)
I'm not into anonymous commenting either, especially when it's hateful. I do love a good discussion, especially when there are differing {respectful} opinions involved. Here's to hoping people can represent themselves in a more mature, respectful manner in the future!
:) I love you!
Obviously, Richard and I did not wait, and I don't regret it for a minute! But there were times when it would have been easier. We could have both worked for a few years and saved a lot of money. However, for *most* people, I think that's just an excuse. Most married people I know who both work blow their money anyway (I.e. Concerts, vacations, nice cars, etc.) and don't save it for a house.
For some people, it probably is better to wait! But society says you have to have this and that before you can be a good parent...BUT ITS A LOAD OF CRAP!
Whitney
PROUD PARENT AT THE AGE OF 20!!!
I think there are definitely people who wait for the wrong reasons, but there are also a lot of people who have kids earlier than they responsibly should. I never think kids should be thought of as a mistake, but sometimes if people would wait longer they could,offer their children more time and affection. I know that's why we've chosen to wait. School is very time-demanding and I want to devote a good amount of time to my children when I have them.
Also, you have to be careful not to pressure people to have children! It gets to be tough when all the people you're own age have kids and your parents want to be grandparents! Some people just aren't ready and putting pressure/guilt on people who are waiting or making them feel like they need to start as soon as possible - even if they don't have a good reason - isn't really a smart, responsible, or loving response.
Post a Comment